cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL vmware full + mssql incremental possible?

tont
Level 3

Hi! 

I want to avoid backing mssql databases twice (vmware backup + full MS SQL backup). And since it's now possibe to use application protection in vwmware backups, I want to make Vmware full backup with apl.prot.+ mssql incrementals (Full differential).

However I'm getting errors: "Cannot perform a differential backup for database, because a current database backup does not exist."

The netbackup SQL client shows the backups from the full vmware backup (vmware database image backup).

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chirag_Patel1
Level 3
Employee

The 'normal' MS SQL database 'Full differential' backup would require prior Full backup taken using normal MS SQL policy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Does your application protection backup truncate the SQL logs ?

This could be because the first SQL log is from before the full backup taken with the application protection

Don't know if what you are trying to do  is possible, think SQL guide section about snapshot backup might be able to hekp you with that

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

From SQL guide

"VMware incremental backups of SQL Server are not supported with this version of NetBackup. However, the use of Accelerator may increase the speed of full backups."

tont
Level 3

Well yes, but I don't want to make the incremental backup by using vmware backup. I want to make a incremental backup by "normal" MS SQL backup policy. 

2 different polices:

1. VMware full with application protection

2. Mssql incremental backup (from database only)

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You'll have to use regular SQL agent backups then. Restores from VMWARE SQL backups only allow you to restore to recovered mode, so you won't be able to apply logs to a full restore.

Chirag_Patel1
Level 3
Employee

The 'normal' MS SQL database 'Full differential' backup would require prior Full backup taken using normal MS SQL policy.