Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master job and Child jobs

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi,

1)

I have scheduled NDMP backup. In backup selections I have created 6 New Streams and inside each stream I have specified some paths of the data to be backed up.

When the policy is triggered 1 Master job and 6 Child jobs are initiated. After their completion some child jobs show partially completed. I note the paths failed from the detailed status of the child job. I opened one policy named as partial policy and went to Backup Selections and created 1 New Stream and under this I pasted the paths which were failed.

But when i run the partial policy - 1 master job was initiated then one child job. But 1 more job initiated named as "New Stream" as showing in job overview.

Theoretically only two jobs should start  -  1 master and 1 child then what is the purpose of the 3rd job.

2)

One more thing I am getting. As I know if all child jobs are completing successfully i.e. 0 then the master job should also reflect the status code 0 i.e. completed successfully. But why in some cases it shows partial with status 1 and in some cases failed with status 99.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

could you show us the backup selection of the partial policy?

to answer your 2nd question.. if any one of the child job faiiled with status code 99 or done with 1, parent also will get the same status code ..

parent job will be compleated with status code 0 when all the child jobs are compleated with status code 0

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

could you show us the backup selection of the partial policy?

to answer your 2nd question.. if any one of the child job faiiled with status code 99 or done with 1, parent also will get the same status code ..

parent job will be compleated with status code 0 when all the child jobs are compleated with status code 0

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have only 1 path in Backup Selection, you do not need NEW_STREAM.
Delete it it if you have it in Backup Selection.

smith_jones
Level 6

Then why it is so -  Check the attachment.

Masters with different status code than childs.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

Ok if I do not create New Stream when I have only one path then only one job will initiate. No master and child concept.

Similarly if I create a New Stream and then under this spcify one path then basically only two jobs should start -  one master and one child then why 3rd as in my first post attachment.

Marianne
Level 6

I don't understand what the issue is.

One path - one job.

NEW_STREAM is for multiple streams with more than one path in Backup Selection.

You can read up about Backup Selection in NBU Admin Guide I.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

I created one policy. In backup selections I created one New Stream and under this New stream I specified 6 paths. I triggered the backup. And I got 1 master job and 6 child jobs.

My issue is when I created a partial policy and specified one failed path under New Stream I got three jobs running - 1 for master job, 1 for child job of that path and 1 named as New_STREAM as showing in job overview.

smith_jones
Level 6

Ok i got it. The new stream should be named as NEW_STREAM and somebody had set it to New_STREAM.

So it was assuming it as a path and giving error 99, as in my first post.

But tell me about my second issue.

Please check my second post.

Marianne
Level 6

See Ram's post above....

Nothing to add.....