cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media ID Generation not being honored

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I figured I'd try this. (AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT)

Our Quantum library does, in fact, import the tape automatically and it updates NetBackup with the new tape.  However, it is not honoring the Media ID Generation rule.

Library is set to report all 8 characters from the barcode.  The barcode on the tape being imported is 400110L4.

The Media ID Generation Rule is 1:2:3:4:5:6. The media ID should show up as 400110. 

The media ID being generated automatically is 0110L4.  But the barcode does appear in NetBackup correctly as 400110L4. 

When I delete the media ID and re-inventory the library manually, the media ID is being generated correctly as 400110.

Any suggestions, anyone?  Or is this just a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

as you say you are trying the auto inject maybe the master does not have the rules.

Was it from a different server/pc than the one you were running the console on?

Reason I ask is that the barcode rules are saved on the server/pc that is running the console when you make the rules.

Example.

Run console from my pc, make a barcode rule and save it.

Start the console from the master server - go and look - no barcode rules.

You have to make the barcode rules on ever server/pc that runs the console so whomever might add new media has the same rules ready on it.

I tore my hair out trying to figure out why someone else who added new tapes was always messing it up. Because when I looked I had rules.  Then I look on his pc and he did not have any rules.

Please go vote for my idea to have this moved to the master server no matter where you run the console.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

as you say you are trying the auto inject maybe the master does not have the rules.

Was it from a different server/pc than the one you were running the console on?

Reason I ask is that the barcode rules are saved on the server/pc that is running the console when you make the rules.

Example.

Run console from my pc, make a barcode rule and save it.

Start the console from the master server - go and look - no barcode rules.

You have to make the barcode rules on ever server/pc that runs the console so whomever might add new media has the same rules ready on it.

I tore my hair out trying to figure out why someone else who added new tapes was always messing it up. Because when I looked I had rules.  Then I look on his pc and he did not have any rules.

Please go vote for my idea to have this moved to the master server no matter where you run the console.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This query is based on this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/automatically-import-media-mail-slot

Media is simply put in the CAP/MAP and because of AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT in vm.conf, media is automatically put into slots and NBU config updated.

Ron - maybe AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT is still not perfect...
Were Barcode Rules honored? (e.g media should go into Scratch by default.)

Seems you have 2 choices here:

Stop using AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT and go back to 'old ways' or log a Support call, but chances are that you will get through to an Engineer who doesn't see this a problem, will tell you that Media ID Generation Rule works with Inventory only, and not handover to Engineering....

RonCaplinger
Level 6

J, you are correct!

It was odd that there was no /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf file on the media server running robot control for that library.  I had to create it, then I added the AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT directive to it.  There were no MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS directives, so it was using the NBU original default of just the last 6 characters of the barcode.

I added the appropriate MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS directive and now the auto-import works correctly! 

BTW, I have already voted for your idea, I still think it's silly to keep multiple barcode/media generation setups.  It should be set up on the master and all of these robot control hosts should be using the same ones.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

See my response above.  It was all a matter of entering the MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS directive to match our Media ID Generation rule in that vm.conf file, too. 

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Would you mind tagging my entry as the solution?

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Thanks!