cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Issue - false OpsCentre alerts?

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

Few days backup we had recived many alerts on OPS center that many media almost (100 media) are frozen as a matter of fact there was none in the console.

Could you pls let me know how to troubleshoot it ? and also let me know how to check if media was actually got frozen on that day?

This incident took place a week ago and i could see the last media mount was 2 months backup of one of the problemtic media that got alert.

Pls help

9 REPLIES 9

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Did the alerts you received include the word "Clear" in the subject?  Could this just have been a case where someone noticed that there were a large number of alerts that no one had responded to in the past, and they just selected the option in OpsCenter to clear them?  (The subjects in the email messages for both the alerts and for their cleared messages are nearly identical.)

H_Sharma
Level 6

Subject: AlertID:89076(Active) Media: A00034 Frozen

Alert Raised on: March 9, 2015 10:27 AM Tree Type : Server Tree Name : ALL MASTER SERVERS Nodes : jiji Frozen Media Name: A00034 Media Server: jiji2 Alert Policy: Frozen Media OpsCenter Server: jiji1

Severity: Critical

H_Sharma
Level 6

Subject: AlertID:56789(Clear) Media: A00057 Frozen

There are the clear message too.

We never experinced that much of frozen media since the setup.

Pls help.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I'm not sure if I understand everything from the first message.  You said you got alerts for almost 100 tapes that were frozen.  Were the tapes really frozen when you checked in NetBackup?  Or were they reported as frozen by OpsCenter but not frozen in Netbackup?  If they were all frozen and you unfroze them, were they scratch tapes, or did they all have valid backup images on them when they got frozen?

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Ron,

Yes we got alert for almost 100 tapes in ops center that are frozen.

These tapes were not really frozen when we checked on nbu console.

No, we did not unfreeze them. 

These were just reported.

for instance we have many alerts so below 1 alert is active and 2 is clear. 

1:- 

Subject: AlertID:89076(Active) Media: A00034 Frozen

Alert Raised on: March 9, 2015 10:27 AM Tree Type : Server Tree Name : ALL MASTER SERVERS Nodes : jiji Frozen Media Name: A00034 Media Server: jiji2 Alert Policy: Frozen Media OpsCenter Server: jiji1

Severity: Critical

2:-

Subject: AlertID:56789(Clear) Media: A00057 Frozen

There are the clear message too.

We never experinced that much of frozen media since the setup.

Pls help.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I am no OpsCentre expert, just trying to see what happened on that day in NBU for this media server. Run Media Logs report for this media server for 9 March. Filter out Info type Severity so that you are left with Warning and Error entries. Or check bptm log on this media server for 9 March.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi,

I checked bptm logs with the media id and found no media that raised an alert got mounted on that day. Also checked with the last mount date that was too earlier ago not near to 9th.

So still wondering what went wrong. Beacuse we didnot have these much of media id got frozen earlier :(

VoropaevPavel
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Try running Tape Logs report from Administartion console, filter by error. Copy here few errors if there are any.

If media got frozen there might be either a media id mismatch or hard error on the tape, both will log a message.

H_Sharma
Level 6

I checked on the same date there was no any error all are info on serverity.

All checked the BPTM logs there were no errors w.r.t the tapes that got alert generated on the same day.

Interstingly alert id with active generated and got cleared at the same time frame as the email notifications says...