cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Written Report

casperinmd
Level 2

Hello all,

I used to be able to use the free version of NOM to create this report, but seeing as how Symantec decided to remove that free report from the free version of OpsCenter, I don't know of any other way to get this report out of Netbackup 7.0.1.

Plain and simply, I want to be able to tell the Helpdesk what tapes to pull after a monthly backup.

Thanks for any pointers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have a unix master so I set this up in cron to run in the morning at a time I know backups are done.

You could put it in the parent end notify to run after your catalog runs in the morning when you know all your backups are done (you would want if statements in there so it only ran after the catalog was done)

#!/bin/ksh

# Netbackup tape written report

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -A -media -hoursago 20 > /opt/openv/scripts/temp/tapeswritten.out

mail -s "MYdomain Tapes Written Report" someonewhocares@domain.com < /opt/openv/scripts/temp/tapeswritten.out

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have a unix master so I set this up in cron to run in the morning at a time I know backups are done.

You could put it in the parent end notify to run after your catalog runs in the morning when you know all your backups are done (you would want if statements in there so it only ran after the catalog was done)

#!/bin/ksh

# Netbackup tape written report

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -A -media -hoursago 20 > /opt/openv/scripts/temp/tapeswritten.out

mail -s "MYdomain Tapes Written Report" someonewhocares@domain.com < /opt/openv/scripts/temp/tapeswritten.out

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

You can run a loop using the bpimagelist command and get the list ofo media used for a specific backup policy

#!/bin/ksh

# move the list of policy to a file - i have created script to read file from /tmp

for i in `cat /tmp/policy_list`

do

echo $i > /tmp/output

bpimagelist -policy $i -d 10/24/2010 -media | awk '{print $1}' | uniq >> /tmp/output

echo " " >> /tmp/output

echo "===========" >> /tmp/output

done

This would list the media that are used for backup's for the policy since 24th Oct. 

casperinmd
Level 2

Ok, I am on windows so let me see if I can figure this out from your scripts. Will get back soon. Thanks

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

& depending on exactly what it is you want to see, you could always export the output from the Tape Written report in the Admin Console GUI.

e.g.

This uses a command string similar to what Deepak has suggested:

"...

Media Written Report
The Media Written report identifies volumes that were used for backups within the specified time period.  
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpimagelist -A -media [-d <start_date> <start_time> -e <end_date> <end_time>]

..."

( Taken from: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH20462 )

& it can be exported to a file like most (all?) of the GUI reports.

casperinmd
Level 2

Ok, thanks to all that helped. I was able to use those examples to get a script, now I will add to post scripts to automate it.

Andy, the reason teh GUI did not work is b/c we use VTL's for most tapes and physical media for what needs to go offsite, so I needed a more granular approach that bpimagelist gave me.