cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media erase directly without expiring image

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

Hi,

Is there any command to erase media directly without caring for images expire( if data not required). I didn't find any command, So decided to expire images and erase media by using command bpexpdate, but it is also throwing error message.

Error message 'requested media id is not assigned to this host in the emm database'.

command syntax used: ./bpexpdate -d 0 -m <media-id> or ./bpexpdate -d 0 -m <media-id> -host <media-server-name>

5 REPLIES 5

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

In GUI, it works, if select and clik on 'quick erase' on specific media

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is the media in question listed in the output of bpmedialist?

You don't have to erase media in NetBackup, unless you specifically want to destroy the content on tape for security reasons. Once a media is expired with bpexpdate its "clean/erased" from a netbackup point of view. Or at least, its available for use by the next backup run. The data is however still on the tape and will be overwritten once the next backup runs.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Hi Ravi,

The media you are trying to expire, must be in unassigned state; which means that media is not assigned to any backup image.

bpexpdate - Expires particular backup image from image catalog, or it expires the whole media from catalog (removes from EMM database) It doesnt erases the data thats in the tape. In next backup run, NetBackup sees the tape as new volume and overwrites backup on it.

Command to erase the data in the tape

bplabel -erase -l -m <media_ID> -d <density> -p <Volume_pool> -host media_server

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

I tried with above command, but it throws the syntax. it tried with combination of options. Below is the one which i tried.

./bplabel -erase -l -m 0737l4 -d hcart -o -p test -n IBM.UTL3580-TD4.000 -u 1 -h btcfps003

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

I tested the erase, it works well; please check it again. Make sure you specify the media density correct.

# ./bplabel -erase -l -m RZDP01 -d hcart3 -p Duplicate -host RIZBKP1
Media is already NetBackup format, media id = RZDP01, erase it y/n (n)? y
Begining tape erase...this may take a while.
Erase is complete.