cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Master Server from Netbackup 7.0 32-bit to NB 7.1 64-bit

katunar
Level 3

Hi there,

I am in the middle of migrating from NB 7.0 32bit to NB 7.1 64bit.

While i know that there should not be a problem on the OS level, Do you have any documentation, steps on how to backup and restore from NB 7.0 32bit to NB7 7.1 64 bit??

Can I restore the Backup Catogue and configuration straight into the new built server with NB 7.1 64bit

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup Catalog can only be restored to the same NBU level. Restore of 7.0 catalogs in 7.1 installation will fail with 'Database Schema mismatch' when it gets to the relational database.

You will need to install 7.0 on the new hardware (with same hostname), patch to same level as 32-bit master, then restore catalog backup.  Upgrade to 7.1 once you have confirmed that all is well on new server.

Documentation: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup Catalog can only be restored to the same NBU level. Restore of 7.0 catalogs in 7.1 installation will fail with 'Database Schema mismatch' when it gets to the relational database.

You will need to install 7.0 on the new hardware (with same hostname), patch to same level as 32-bit master, then restore catalog backup.  Upgrade to 7.1 once you have confirmed that all is well on new server.

Documentation: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

last time i called support i was informed this was not a supported process, however after doing some digging i found that it is supported as Marianne stated to "like" versions.

You will need to reinstall NBU on the 64bit machine so that the version and patch level is the same as on the 32bit machine. Once done do a DR to the 64bit machine and upgrade to the version of NBU you wish to run going forward.

katunar
Level 3

Thanks to Marianne's email and the articles above she sent me, I successfully manage to migrate my master server from NetBackup 7.0 32-bit to NetBackup 7.0 64-bit from one Box to another [Blade Server].

With the first part of migration successfully completed, I am planing to now upgrade the same new Master server from 7.0 64-bit to 7.1 and later to 7.1.0.2 64-bit.

As i have not been able to find a post nor a document that would illustrate on how to do this.

I have completed the SORT Checklist but what i am failing to understand is how to proceed to the next step!
I have proper licenses and the latest NetBackup Software.

Basically my questions are:
1. Can I upgrade the server by just re-installing the Master server with the new version and restore the catalog from the 7.0?
2. Or can I simply deactivate my policies, media servers, media and devices and run the install on the same Master server?
3. Would i be able to retrieve everything [media, devices, policies and catalog] after the new installation/upgrade?
4. Correct me if i am wrong: from what i read you cannot upgrade the Master server through the NetBackup LiveUpdate.

Basically I am looking for Upgrade Steps from NetBackup 7.0 to 7.1 or any documentation that you might know of. 

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks.

PS: Going through the Symantec NetBackup Installation Guide Release 7.1, Page 43-52...  I was not able to tell if the suggested steps would work for an upgrade instead of a fresh install!!  And If at the end I would be able to retrieve all my previous work.

chack22
Level 4

1. No, if you're asking if you can upgrade to 7.1 and then restore the catalog again.

2. Correct

3. It's an upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1. Everything remained the same when I performed the upgrade.

4. I only use LiveUpdate for client upgrades, but I'm pretty sure it cannot be used for master or media servers.