cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Netbackup 5.1 to 7.6

selvinjjj
Level 3

HI Guys,

Am currently using netbackup 5.1MP6 with windows server 2003,now am planning to migrate to netbackup 7.6 with windows server 2008.

Here is my question

1)what are the steps i need to folllow

2)If the installations is done can i have a option to export all the policies from old server to new server.

kinldy help me on this.

Thanks

selvin S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am a bit concerned about this statement:

NOTE: I am Very new to this netbackup enviroment .........

If you are new to NBU and you do not have a senior colleague to learn from, you should not attempt this on your own.

If you are working with a Symantec reseller who offers assistance on a consulting basis, it would be worth every cent to pay for about 1 day's worth of services to work out the best procedure for you and assist you in getting started. Or more days for the partner to assist you with the entire process.

If you had a look at the recent post that I have referenced above:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-veritas-51-symantec-71 

You will see that I have outlined 2 possible ways to go about:

1. LENGTHY step-by-step upgrade process that will guarantee that all existing config is kept and all valid, unexpired backups will remain intact. 
    (I am about to assist a customer with this on consulting basis...)
  2. Start with clean installation on new master server (new name, new config, new policies) and import tapes on new master. You will need to keep the old master around until all unexpired tapes have been imported on the new master.
    Important that you add tapes from old master to a separate pool that will never be used for backups (e.g. OLD-MASTER) to prevent them from being overwritten before you get a chance to import them.

Importand also that you get yourself booked on a 5-day instructor-led training course or use the Training link at the bottom of this page to find the free, online training.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/upgrade-51-70-different-host-os

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

My advice is to build a new environment and move client to the new enviroment - going from 5.1 to 7.6 is too many steps and too many possibilities for something going wrong.

No options for exporting policies when versions are so far apart.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Selvin, Nicolai is right - no standard tools exist to re-create policies and or clients in the new environment.

I'm just curious - how many policies, and how many clients are there in the old environment?

StefanosM
Level 6

I agree with Nicolai not to upgrade. Especially the first step from 5.1 to 6.0 is painful.

I had successfully move the policies from one server to another using the following trick (assuming that you want to keep the 5.1 installation):

1. Install to another system a netbackup server with the same version (5.1)
  2. copy the directory <install_path>/veritas/netbackup/db/class from the old server to the temp 5.1 server
  3. upgrade the temp installation from 5.1 to 6.0 to 7.1 to 7.6
  4. move the upgraded class directory from the temp installation to the new 7.6 server

of course you have to double check that all backups are running after you finish.

If you choose to upgrade, you have to check the netbackup database first. Open a case asking that and insist to speak with the duty manager as 5.1 and 6.0 is not supported. They will probably do an exception as a broken 7.6 database will produce more effort to support engineers.

Marianne
Level 6
Have a look at this recent discussion : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-veritas-51-symantec-71

selvinjjj
Level 3

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.

I have a question:

1.If am installed the netbackup 7.6 and shutdown the old server 5.1,,then in future if i need to do any restoration of the backup,which taken by 5.1 and restoration needs to be done in 7.6 on that time i will get any error or everthing will be ok.

Thanks in advance

Selvin S

sdo

1) Do you have any old tapes that you may need to restore from?

2) If yes, then have you thought how you will populate the catalog of the new environment with details of the contents of these old media?

3) How many old media are there which contain valid backups?

4) What actual physical tape type are those backups on?

5) Will you have the same tape technology in the new environment?

If the importance of these very basic introductory questions is not apparent to you, then could I perhaps suggest that it might be worth getting in touch with a consulting partner to help you rationalise any plans before you make any strategic or investment decisions.

sdo

Also you have not got given us any indication of the scale or complexity of the old environment.

If the master(/media) server is v5.1 MP6 - then the client must also be that old - which would mean that many (if not all clients) are very old too.... and if this is true... then you potentially have a much bigger infrastructure change on your hands...

...because how will you backup the old OS version clients with a new NetBackup version if the new NetBackup version does not support the old client OS versions?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You could leave the NBU 5.1 system as a stand by, just in case - if any restore is requested - you import those media into the new NBU 7.6 environment.

To import media use the following procedure:

Step-by-step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

selvinjjj
Level 3

Hi Sdo,

Here the answers for your questions.

1.Yes we have media which we need to restore in future.

2.Can you please suggest me how to populate the catalog to the new enviroment.

3.we have more than 200 tapes which contains valid datas.

4.physical tape is SUN STORAGE TEK SL500(warranty with oracle).

5.Yes we are going to use the same tape technology.

NOTE: I am Very new to this netbackup enviroment if am asking some question maybe it will be the basic questions as well kindly give me the suggestions thanks in advance.

Hi Nicolai,

If am using this procedure it will work 100% right??

And guys one more question for this 5.1 to 7.6 i need to keep the same HOSTNAME and IP ADDRESS ??

Or i can use the different one for this kinldy suggest me if any details required kindly let me know.

Thanks

Selvin S

sdo

Hi Selvin, Welcome to the wonderful world of NetBackup.  When implemented well, it really can do a great job.  I'm sure many of us will do our best to help you.

Re catalog... I'd take Nicolai's previous advice.  Your old environment is simply too old to upgrade by yourself.  Or maybe get some professional expert advice.

Do you have virtual infrastructure which could be used to host a read-only clone of the old physical environment?

selvinjjj
Level 3

Thank you verymuch.

Yes we have a virtual infra and we can do the clone as well. But my question is

1.I can go for P2V(Physical to virtual) but meanwhile i need to use the new NBU 7.6 for the restoration or something else.

And HOSTNAME and IP ADDRESS would be same or i can anything.

Kindly suggest me.

Thanks

Selvin S

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The new Netbackup environment can't have the same name and IP as the old.

The import procedure work and it also used for import backup that has been expired by mistake.

if it wasn't supported Symantec/Veritas would not have a tech note explaining how to do imports. I however strongly advice you to test such a import BEFORE a restore is needed.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Best to keep the old server around and idle for a month or two. After that time the possibility/chance for restore has been reduced dramatically.

selvinjjj
Level 3

Thanks Nicolai,

Anyway we will be keep the old server upto 3 months so you are saying is we need to check the restoartion once then only we can able to confirm it right.

And symantec will not support this ???

Thanks

Selvin S

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need import tape from the 5.1 environment only once - then they are known by the new Netbackup domain.

I say you need to test imports, because you need to familiarize you with the process - or call it "training" / self study. All news actions can be difficult until you know how they work.

The likenesses of a tape import will be small if you keep the old master server around. Most restore happens within the first month,

Symantec do support import of tapes.

Hope this clarify ...

Marianne
Level 6

I am a bit concerned about this statement:

NOTE: I am Very new to this netbackup enviroment .........

If you are new to NBU and you do not have a senior colleague to learn from, you should not attempt this on your own.

If you are working with a Symantec reseller who offers assistance on a consulting basis, it would be worth every cent to pay for about 1 day's worth of services to work out the best procedure for you and assist you in getting started. Or more days for the partner to assist you with the entire process.

If you had a look at the recent post that I have referenced above:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-veritas-51-symantec-71 

You will see that I have outlined 2 possible ways to go about:

1. LENGTHY step-by-step upgrade process that will guarantee that all existing config is kept and all valid, unexpired backups will remain intact. 
    (I am about to assist a customer with this on consulting basis...)
  2. Start with clean installation on new master server (new name, new config, new policies) and import tapes on new master. You will need to keep the old master around until all unexpired tapes have been imported on the new master.
    Important that you add tapes from old master to a separate pool that will never be used for backups (e.g. OLD-MASTER) to prevent them from being overwritten before you get a chance to import them.

Importand also that you get yourself booked on a 5-day instructor-led training course or use the Training link at the bottom of this page to find the free, online training.

selvinjjj
Level 3

Thank you Marianne...

We are starting this activity by next week i will post the update once it done and if i have any queries on or before that,,,, i will post my questions kindly help me ..

Thanks

Selvin S