Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to new hardware and recovery of Netbackup catalog

ReverbD
Level 2
Hi Everyone,

I have the following scenario:

Netbackup 6.5.2 on Solaris Sparc with DLT library (scsi connected) migrating to Netbackup 6.5.2 on Solaris X86 with LTO4 library (Fiber connected).

The current Netbackup location install is non-standard and a patch work of several previous versions of netbackup. I would like to cleanly install Netbackup to a new location, however, I do not believe I can do this due to catalog recovery. My understanding is the the catalog recovery requires a filesystem layout and install location identical to the original server. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

D

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Backup/recovery approach requires the same disk layout as it was on old system.
Unix path is the same for both Solarises, it's /usr/openv

Devices are not a problem - anyway you have to configure them once again after recovery of catalog.

You have two options
1. Official way (cross-platform migrations are not covered by Symantec support): http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

Symantec Consulting Services have developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered master server
  • Renaming of a Master Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system
  • Un-clustering a clustered master server
2. Just perform hot backup on old system and recovery using the same patch level for NBU to new system. It should work.
Little bit unsupported, but couple of guys from this forum did this trick and now happy with their new Sol10 x64

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My understanding is the the catalog recovery requires a filesystem layout and install location identical to the original server
And what's a problem to create symlinks?
Platform change isn't very critical but i think taht you have to test this migration first. May be you faced with some binaries  incompatibility issues.
Another solution is just to add new server as a Media Server  (if it's possible to leave old server act as a Master/EMM).

ReverbD
Level 2
thanks for the responses guys.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Because is the same OS I think it will not be a such a big deal to migrate the files has regular UNIX files, still will be good to ask Symantec and the question is why migrate from SPARC to INTEL?