cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Network Adapter in Windows SRT Boot Media

chris_a1
Level 2

Hello,

First I would like to say I really find this community helpful with quick solutions to common problems when configuring NetBackup for a small-scale system.

I'm attempting to restore a Windows 7.0.1 client using SRT boot media. The "fast-boot" SRT was created successfully, the SRT was exported and burned successfully, and the client boots into the CD successfully.

Once the NetBackup part of the boot CD takes over, it fails during the "Starting Network Services..." with the message "Failed to retrieve any configurations from the server.". When I explore the GUI that NetBackup drops you into after this fails I went into the Network tab. Under "Configure Network Options" or whatever the option is where you can view "Network Adapter Configuration" and statically set an IP address or try and get one from DHCP the only Network Adapters I can choose from are the on-board network adapters the client has. Unfortunately the interface that NetBackup communicates over is on a "Teamed" set of two external NICs and those network adapters aren't available to choose from in the "Network Adapter Configuration" utility window.

I've verified that the Master Server knows about the NICs and has their drivers, but unfortunately none of that matters because the SRT doesn't have those drivers apparently. I've reviewed the options when creating an SRT and there is no option for specifying Network Drivers to use, and since I'm using boot media to begin the Bare Metal Restore procedure I can't even communicate with the Master server without the proper drivers being loaded by the SRT boot media.

How do I got about creating an SRT that has the proper drivers?

4 REPLIES 4

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

You might have to add the drivers via the boot server assistant wizard and re-create the SRT package.

chris_a1
Level 2

I've tried using the "Driver Package Wizard" on the boot server (which is not the same server as my master server, in case that matters) and all it does it send the driver package it creates to the master server. I never associate the drivers with the SRT or anything using that wizard.

Using the "SRT Wizard" there aren't any options for adding drivers or anything like that to the SRT.

Where am I supposed to add drivers to the SRT? How does the boot server know what drivers are needed by the SRT to properly start a Bare Metal Restore using boot media?

Thanks very much for any help!

Suchitra
Level 4
Employee

The Prepare To Restore Step, BMR refers the configuration and then inserts the relevant drivers inside the SRT. As a user you do not need to add them in the SRT specifically.

I believe you have used the Driver Package Wizard to specify the new drivers and they are now part of the BMR driver database. Now all you need to do is select the right configuration and right SRT and then perform Prepare To Restore on it.

This will generate a Network Boot ISO. You can also use the SRT Wizard to create Bootable CD-Media ISO too.

Hope this helps

Suchitra

chris_a1
Level 2

Hi Suchitra,

Thanks for your response. If I make the Bootable Media CD from the SRT previous to "Preparing to Restore" while selecting the appropriate driver package will the CD not include the correct drivers? And in this case is it a requirement to "Prepare to Restore" previous to generating the Media Boot disc?

Also, while on the topic of Network Booting:

I'm quite familiar with the Linux side of NetBackup and we have a RHEL 5.3 Master Server running version 7.0.1 (also set up as a boot server for the linux clients). When restoring a Linux client the "Prepare to Restore" properly updates the dhcpd.conf file to allow for the Linux clients to grab an IP from the master server via DHCP and begin the restore. When doing a "Prepare to Restore" on a Windows client (I have a seperate windows boot server set up on another windows box) how does the master server know which DHCP server to use? How would the master server know if I have a DHCP server set up on the Windows Boot Server?

Thanks very much for your help, its much appreciated!

-Chris