cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify silentclient.cmd file

Josh_Goodin
Level 4
We are looking to use SMS to rollout the new 6.5 client and we make use of the silentclient.cmd file to script the install.  However, we have noticed that when you use this script to install the client, the netbackup client service is not started when the install is done.  Has anyone found a way to modify the script to start the netbackup client service?
6 REPLIES 6

ruffy
Level 4
REM This can be either 1 for Automatic or 0 for Manual.

SET SERVICESTARTTYPE=1

REM Set to 1 to start the NetBackup client service after installation, 0 otherwise. This option
REM has no effect when reinstalling NetBackup.

SET SERVICESTART=1

REM Set to 1 to start the Job Tracker at every login, 0 otherwise. This option has no effect
REM when reinstalling NetBackup.

SET STARTTRACKER=1

this is an abstract of the silentclient.cmd
with this lines you are able to start the service and the tracker after the installation

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
You could try adding the following to your modified script:

net start "NetBackup Client Service"

...and this should start it.

ruffy
Level 4

you are right sdw303 , thats the fastest kind to do it.
but it should strike too, so how i told it in the last post, isnt it?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I've never noticed it not starting after the install, but then I don't do the client installs, the platorm teams at my site do them - and they usually reboot a client after the install anyway.

I do know that the VSP kernel driver, which is installed by default on Windows clients, requires a reboot before it can be used by NetBackup.  But, if you don't want to use VSP then you can turn that off (i.e. disable the install of VSP) by modifying a flag in the silentclient.cmd script.  This way you don't need to reboot before using the NetBackup client - and you can use VSS instead of VSP, if you want to at least try to backup open files.

So, maybe it's the default install, i.e. the act of installing the VSP kernel driver that causes the client service not to be started after the install.  I'm not sure.  Maybe someone could do some testing and confirm actual behaviour based on different installation methods/types.

ruffy
Level 4
thanks for this usefull information. i will try it out!

Josh_Goodin
Level 4
My script was missing the SET SERVICESTART=1.   Thanks for the info.