Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly backup runs every week

ankushkalra
Level 5

Hi,

I am using NBU 6.5.6 in our envirement.

We have many policies with 3 sechdules daily,monthly and weekly.

Daily secdules runs daily,weekly runs on every friday and monthly runs every 4th friday.

One strange thing i nooticed is that if for some reason monthly backup fails(frequuency 4 weeks),it keeps on running every week till it is been completed 

is this true or i am doing domething wrong.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This Article (as well as NBU Admin GuideI) explains how Frequency scheduling works:

NetBackup Frequency Based Scheduling 

Have a look at the diagram in above Article that I copied from an older NBU Admin Guide.

It explains the process that NBU goes through to determine if a backup must be submitted.

When backup window opens, NBU checks when last there was a successful backup for this schedule.

How much time has elapsed since the last successful 4-weekly backup?
If more than 4 weeks, this schedule will take preference over the weekly schedule, as per my explanation in your previous post: Backup policy 

If you want the Monthly schedule to run on a specific weekend (e.g. last Friday of the month), rather choose Calendar scheduling for the Monthly.

Mixing Frequency and Calendar schedules used to 'misbehave' in previous versions of NBU where Monthly and Weekly both ran.
What we did to fix it was to open the backup window for the Monthly about 10 minutes before the Weekly.
So, when the Monthly is already active and the backup window for the Weekly opens, NBU would see that there is already another Full backup running and skip the Weekly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Please show us the policy config. Run this command from cmd on the master (cd to .....Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd ) : bppllist ( policy-name ) -U Copy the text output and post here. Please also tell us when last this 4-weekly schedule ran successfully.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you have a monthly backup that keeps failing or is canceled repeatedly, Netbackup wil re-try that job until it succeed. It is normal Netbackup behavior.

Marianne
Level 6

This Article (as well as NBU Admin GuideI) explains how Frequency scheduling works:

NetBackup Frequency Based Scheduling 

Have a look at the diagram in above Article that I copied from an older NBU Admin Guide.

It explains the process that NBU goes through to determine if a backup must be submitted.

When backup window opens, NBU checks when last there was a successful backup for this schedule.

How much time has elapsed since the last successful 4-weekly backup?
If more than 4 weeks, this schedule will take preference over the weekly schedule, as per my explanation in your previous post: Backup policy 

If you want the Monthly schedule to run on a specific weekend (e.g. last Friday of the month), rather choose Calendar scheduling for the Monthly.

Mixing Frequency and Calendar schedules used to 'misbehave' in previous versions of NBU where Monthly and Weekly both ran.
What we did to fix it was to open the backup window for the Monthly about 10 minutes before the Weekly.
So, when the Monthly is already active and the backup window for the Weekly opens, NBU would see that there is already another Full backup running and skip the Weekly.

ankushkalra
Level 5

Thanks all for the reply