cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Points

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Hi all,

Running Netbackup 5.1MP5, Windows 2003.  Is *not* selecting Cross Mount Points in a policy enough to prevent backing up mounted volumes in Windows?

For example,

E:\ = 200GB
F:\ = 50GB  (where F:\ is really E:\DATA)

If the policy is set to do a full backup of E:\, how much data will be backed up?

8 REPLIES 8

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
What have you put in the file section of the policy? If you said All_Local_Drives then it should only backup the E:\ drive. If you specified both then it will back up E:\DATA twice. At least that is the way I see it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
because cross mount point is not selected, E:\Data or F:\ will be ignored.

based on the following:

Cross Mount Points

The Cross Mount Points policy attribute applies only to certain policy types and

NetBackup allows you to select it in only those instances.

The Cross Mount Points policy attribute controls whether NetBackup crosses file system

boundaries during a backup or archive on UNIX clients or whether NetBackup enters

volume mount points during a backup or archive on Windows clients.

If you select Cross Mount Points, NetBackup backs up or archives all files and

directories in the selected path, regardless of the file system. For example, if you

specify root (/) as the file path, NetBackup backs up root (/) and all files and

directories under it in the tree. Usually, this means all the client’s files, other than

those available through NFS.

If you clear Cross Mount Points, NetBackup backs up or archives only files and

directories that are in the same file system as the selected file path. This lets you back

up a file path such as root (/) without backing up all the file systems that are mounted

on it (for example, /usr and /home).

Notes on Cross Mount Points

Cross Mount Points has no effect on UNIX raw partitions. If the raw partition that is

being backed up is the root partition and has mount points for other file systems, the

other file systems are not backed up even if you select Cross Mount Points.

Do not use Cross Mount Points in policies

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Im sorry forget that was windows, if all local drives are selected, the E:\data and F: will be backed up.

Itu_ditu
Level 2
Partner
Hi All,

I'm having a problem backing up mount points on Windows 2003 using NBU 6.5.3. The backup job completes with no errors but nothing was backed up.  I tried changing all policy attributes but no luck.

Any ideas? 

Itu_ditu
Level 2
Partner
Omar

From  the statement above: (◆ Do not use Cross Mount Points in policies)
What is the impact of using cross mount points?

bschladi
Level 1
it means:

Do not use Cross mount points in policies where the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive is used in the backup selection list. 

Carl_Mathews
Level 3

If you don't cross mount points then it will not back up E:\data if that is a mount point.  See

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315351.htm

So you have no choice - if you have a bunch of Win 2003 or 2008 backup clients.
The easiest way to manage the file selection is with All_Local_Drive and Cross Mount Points.  The 315351 doc doesn't say not to use All_Drives_Local and Cross Mount Points.  What is wrong with using them both? 

Thanks
Carl Mathews
University of Arkansas

lax2212
Level 3

Hi Omar , do you work in JP Morgan ?