cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move the existing backup system which is BE 12.5 to NBU7.5

Grana
Level 2

Dear All 

I am new to this forum and would like your guidance and support. I have been assigned a tast in my office to move the existing backup system which is backup exec 12.5 to NBU7.5. We are using HP VLS9000 storage with a MSL 6000 tape library. I don't know where where should I start. Kindly assist me step wise, please.

**** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-75-documentation ****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have found your comment under the above pinned post.

In future, rather use the ' Create Content'  link at the top of this page for better visibility of your issue.

About NBU 7.5 - have you attended some sort of training? 
In all honesty, NBU is VERY different from BE.
So, you really need to start reading manuals and preferrably attend some classroom training.

There is unfortunately no upgrade or migration path from BE to NBU.

Hopefully your management has also purchased new hardware for the the new software?
Best to keep the BE server and storage around for restores and start fresh on new hardware.

NBU has a BE tape reader, but can only import tapes up to BE 12.0.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have found your comment under the above pinned post.

In future, rather use the ' Create Content'  link at the top of this page for better visibility of your issue.

About NBU 7.5 - have you attended some sort of training? 
In all honesty, NBU is VERY different from BE.
So, you really need to start reading manuals and preferrably attend some classroom training.

There is unfortunately no upgrade or migration path from BE to NBU.

Hopefully your management has also purchased new hardware for the the new software?
Best to keep the BE server and storage around for restores and start fresh on new hardware.

NBU has a BE tape reader, but can only import tapes up to BE 12.0.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As Marianne said, when ready, start backing up with the new NetBackup environment and stop with BE. You will phase out your BE environment as the images expire. If you have infinite retention, then you will be looking into always retaining the BE environment in some minimal capacity for recovery purposes. 

Also refer to the Symantec sort site for the requirements and steps to setup your new NetBackup environment.