cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Catalog Disk to a new SAN storage

Raco
Level 4

Hy every one,

As I had written before, we had Netbackup 7.0 ruining on a Windows 2008 Server R2 Cluster with 2 nodes.

On cluster we have 3 partitions, one for Quorum, one for Veritas Catalog and one as Storage Unit. All these disk are share on SAN.

Next week end we need to move to a new SAN. Our SAN administrator had created 3 new partitions with the same space and these are already visible for the cluster.

Now I wondering what should I do to move veritas catalog and storage unit to the new partitions.

Does any one can help me. Where to find a paper to cover this work o perhaps some one knows how to do it.

Looking forward for help.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

1.  Shut down NetBackup on the cluster and disable the services

2.  Copy each NetBackup volume to the corresponding new volume

3. Go into disk management and change the drive letters of the new volumes to be the same as what they were originally.

4.  Windows cluster software allows you to move the quorum disk.  Our Windows admins have done this multiple times without issue.

5.  When the new drives are up on the original drive letters, re-enable the services and reboot.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What are you currently using for disk management? If Storage Foundation for Windows, it will be as easy as adding disks/luns to the dg, creating a mirror using the new SAN luns, waiting for mirrors to syncronize, removing mirror on original luns, removing the original from dg and finally disconnecting them. All while NBU is staying online.

If no SFW, you can probably use this TN to move the catalogs to the new storage: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70962 , but you will have to find out from your MS Cluster support team how to manually update the cluster config.

As far as Storage Unit is concerned, you will have to add new storage as new STU, duplicate all images, expire original copies. Duplicate copies will automatically become primary.

Raco
Level 4

Thank you very much for your comments, you are great, I will try them and comment to you.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Since you're probably running MSCS without SFW and you cannot create mirrors because MSCS doesn't support Dynamic Disks............. You can use robocopy to copy the data from old to new. Robocopy was bought by Microsoft and is now part of the Windows Server installation (think its a in the resource pack/support tools).

Example steps below (for NetBackup not quorum).

1. Assign drive letters to your new LUNS by adding them to the MSCS configuration
  2. Use robocopy to copy (FULL) all the data from the catalog old (D:\) to catalog new (E:\)
  3. Use robocopy to copy (FULL) all the data from the storage unit old (F:\) to storage unit new (G:\)
  4. Once you're ready to do the change, shutdown NetBackup
  5. Use robocopy to copy (INCREMENTAL) all the data from the catalog old (D:\) to catalog new (E:\)
  6. Use robocopy to copy (INCREMENTAL) all the data from the storage unit old (F:\) to storage unit new (G:\)
  7. Swap/Change the drive letters in the MSCS configuration so that catalog new is (D:\) and storage unit new is (F:\)
  8. Start Netbackup
  9. Verify the last backups performed before you shutdown are listed in the catalog, restore data from the last backups, perform backups to the new storage unit location.
  10. Once you're sure all is well, remove the old luns from the MSCS configuration.

orrrrrr you can buy SFW and not have to struggle like this :)