cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Master Server to Different Server

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
We are wanting to move our master from a server that is non-san attached to a server that is san attached and we would like to know what all considerations are there when moving your master? what all has to be changed?

This other server will have a different name and ip, we are using fully qualified names for everything.
11 REPLIES 11

Stumpr2
Level 6
I suggest you keep the same name for the master server. It will be much easier and lessen the chance of losing data. The IP address is no problem as long as both forward and reverse name lookups are enabled.

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
I can understand that it would be, but it will not be possible to change the server name because it has somethings on it which are tied to that name.

G_S
Level 4
It's a very complicated process and I would strongly recommend against it. However, if you really want to do it, call Veritas.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268696.htm

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you considered a "line in the sand" approach? All new backup images go to the new master? As far as changing the master server name, Yes it can and it has been done, BUT it should not be attempted unless you are a seasoned NetBackup admin willing to take a risk. There is a huge risk of losing data if you make one misteak. Beware of posts that say I've done it and this works for me! Words from the wise...NetBackup environments vary greatly.

Troy_Schuler_2
Level 4
What if your Master has never actually acted as a media server as well?

Troy

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
Good question by Troy, In our enviroment the master server does not act as a media server, it also has no access to the tape drives. that is actually why we are wanting to move it. do these facts change the difficulty of moving the master and also, when the master is not being used as a media sever, what is tied to the master?

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
Would just doing a catalog import be the best way to accomplish this?

patrickkuah
Level 6
I have a procedure on how to move NBU to a different server using different name but it based on version 3.x
As far as i see, it applicable on version 4 and 5.
Put your email here if you are interested. It too long to paste here (3 pages), you can use it as a general guideline.

I would still encourage you to engage professional service from VERITAS.

patrick :)

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
you can email it to matthew.shearer@spartech.com thank you for the help

Joe_Gilch
Not applicable
Hello, I am new to NetBackup Enterprise. I also need to move my Master server currently it's a dual PIII 700 dog with a failing scsi controller. I am purchasing a new server for it, I am also replacing the ancient AIT1 library with a Quantum M1500 LTO3. I would like to move the library from the current Media Server to the new Master Server. Hardware wise it would be a smart move, but is it allowed in the NetBackup scheme. Any design help would be appreciated.

MayurS
Level 6
How would it go if we

Copy the Veritas\netbackup\db
veritas\volmgr\database
Veritas\Netbackup\var
folder from the existing server and to the new server.
and give the same name to the server.

or if it is a small libary we just do the first level imports only to get the Media details after doing the above folder movements.Message was edited by:
Mayur Shinde