cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed policies and clients

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

Some of my Policies are not executing even after there schedule.
also in one of the policy one client's backup doesn't start even thought the other clients's backup in the same policy starts.

Any ideas? Is there a Patch? Or am i misconfiguring?
13 REPLIES 13

patrickkuah
Level 6
Most likely it configuration issue...
run "bppllist - allpolicies -U" and post your result here

patrickMessage was edited by:
Patrick Kuah

Stumpr2
Level 6
Patrick,
Please remember to warn posters to edit the outputs before posting. There is usually some information like servernames / IP addresses/ etc... that should not be posted as is. It is better to err on the side of caution even if you have a great firewall system.

Mayur,
Patrick has given a good suggestion. It is hard for us to understand until we can see the policy definition.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

patrickkuah
Level 6
Bob is right... For security reason, remember to replace sensitive information before posting here.

patrickkuah

MayurS
Level 6
Policy Name: *********

Policy Type: MS-Windows-NT
Active: yes
Effective date: 05/06/2005 21:28:16
Backup network drvs: no
Collect TIR info: no
Mult. Data Streams: no
Client Encrypt: no
Checkpoint: no
Policy Priority: 0
Max Jobs/Policy: Unlimited
Disaster Recovery: 0
Residence: backup
Volume Pool: ***********
Keyword: (none specified)

HW/OS/Client: PC Windows2000 ********
PC Windows2000 ********
PC Windows2000 ********
PC Windows2000 *******
Include: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Schedule: Weekly
Type: Full Backup
Frequency: every 7 days
Maximum MPX: 5
Synthetic: 0
PFI Recovery: 0
Retention Level: 2 (5 weeks)
Number Copies: 1
Fail on Error: 0
Residence: (specific storage unit not required)
Volume Pool: (same as policy volume pool)
Daily Windows:
Friday 19:40:00 --> Sunday 10:40:00

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Did you tried manual backup in last 7 days? Automatic Backup does not perform till days of frequency passed.
Or, check All Log Entries whether "added backup job" or "exceed number of tries" are recorded.

MayurS
Level 6
There is no chance to see in the all log entries since the job doesnt starts.

And yes since the job doesn't start automatically i have to start it manually

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If you run manual backup so often, you should create dedicated schedule for manual backup with no backup window.

MayurS
Level 6
Since the Job doesn't fire then i have to start it manually.
Also i do it after waiting for the some 2 hours after the schedule has passed.
I dont think then the Problem of frequency set to once in a week will restrict the policy from running the next weekend too.
What you suggest?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Your posting of the requested information allowed me to diagnose the situation and this is what I discovered:

Here is the reason and the solution.
You have a window of opportunity for full backups from Friday night to Sunday morning that will only be activated once every 7 days. The manual backups you are creating for a client will cause the client to not be scheduled until 7 days later. This means that if you run a manual backup on a client on Monday then the scheduled backup will not have passed the 7 day frequency requirement by the weekend. On Friday only 4 days will have passed since the last full backup of the client. On Saturday it will have been 5 days, on Sunday 6 days! Finally on the next Monday 7 days have passed but unfortunately the window of opportunity has closed! This means the client does not meet the requirement for frequency and window of opportunity.

Solution: Change the frequency to 3 days and even if you have to rerun a backup on Monday because it had failed on the weekend it will once again be due to run in 3 days. It will wait for the window of opportunity which will arrive on Friday. Then both the frequency and the window of opportunity will be set correctly for a backup to run.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

patrickkuah
Level 6
Hi Mayur,

You can try using calender scheduling instead of frequency scheduling. For calender scheduling, It will not impact on your daily backup schedule even though you run a manual backup.

patrick

MayurS
Level 6
Thanks Bob, Yashuhisa, Patrick for the help
I will post the results.-
Mayur Shinde

MayurS
Level 6
Changing the frequency to 3 days made the policy to run on schedule.

Thanks for the help.

Stumpr2
Level 6
And thank you for rewarding points!

I will be sure to watch for your posts.

TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service :-)Message was edited by:
Bob Stump