cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving/copying images from LTO3 tapes to LTO5 tapes

perez_cmz
Level 6

I have ~650 LTO3 tapes at each site (2 sites). I have to move the LTO3 images at each site to LTO5 tapes in the same site.

Each site currently has an IBM TS3500 tape library, with 2 x LTO3 drives and 4 x LTO5 drives.

What would be the most efficient way to accomplish this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perez_cmz
Level 6

I was able to duplicate images on tape by copy numbers through the gui.

I had to specify the storage unit and volume pool to where I wanted to duplicate to.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just duplicate them ...

If you use a different volume pool unique to the LTO5 tapes, then you will definately copy to the correct drives.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Set-up a separate storage unit for the LTO5 and then duplicate the images using

bpduplicate -id <media_id> -dstunit <new LTO5 storage unit>

bpduplicate options are here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43654

perez_cmz
Level 6

A couple of questions

- Do I have to specify a "copy" for the -dstunit ? I want all the image copies moved/copied to the new media.

- Is there any way to have this command reference a list of media ids, instead of doing one at a time ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Duh ...  thanks Revaroo, for gently pointing out that the STU dictates the drives used, not the vol pool  - brain fade in my old age ...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

- Do I have to specify a "copy" for the -dstunit ? I want all the image copies moved/copied to the new media.

No need to specify as copy number 1 is the default.

cn copy_number|-primary

Determines the copy number to duplicate. Valid values are 1 through 10. The default is 1.

-primary means to search or duplicate the primary copy.

- Is there any way to have this command reference a list of media ids, instead of doing one at a time ?

The bpduplicate command can only take a list of image numbers in a 'BID'-file:

-Bidfile file_name

file_name specifies a file that contains a list of backup IDs to be duplicated. List one backup ID per line in the file. If this parameter is specified, other selection criteria are ignored.

You can add all media-id's in a text file and use a 'for' loop in a script.

PS: Why not keep backups on the LTO3 tapes?

When you need to restore, simply change the density of one LTO5 drive to match density of LTO3 media and restore.
Change drive density back once restore is done.

perez_cmz
Level 6

- Does this command look right ?

bpduplicate -id <media_id> -dstunit <destination_storage_unit_label> -cn 1 | -primary

- Do I need to specify a new retention level for the duplicated image, or will it retain that of the original image ?

Marianne
Level 6

-cn 1 | -primary

You either specify -cn <number> or -primary, not both.

If the LTO3 tapes contain the only backup copy, there is no need for either of these parameters.

If you do not specify a new retention level, it will keep original image retention.

perez_cmz
Level 6

We're moving away from LTO3 tapes, moving everything to LTO5.

perez_cmz
Level 6

So I ran : bpduplicate -id 15741 -dstunit US_NYK_MS1_PTL17_LTO5 -primary using several different LTO3 media id's, but received the following message in all the failed jobs.

04/30/2014 11:08:48 - begin Duplicate
04/30/2014 11:09:12 - end Duplicate; elapsed time 0:00:24
found no images or media matching the selection criteria  (190)

Will_Restore
Level 6

be sure to provide date range ...

-e date, -s date

Specifies the end (-e) or start (-s) of the range of dates and times that include all backups to duplicate. The default end date is the current date and time. The default start time is 24 hours before the current date and time.

perez_cmz
Level 6

Same failed result

RonCaplinger
Level 6

That five digit number is not a Backup ID.  A backup ID uses a format of <servername>_1234567890.  It's the Image name, the same as what you see in the Catalog.

If you have more than one image to duplicate, you have to use a "bidfile", a list of the backup images you want to duplicate.

Will_Restore
Level 6

-id <mediaid>  

is valid option, presuming there are valid images on the tape

try this command to check:

bpimmedia -mediaid <media_id>

hmm, 15741 does seems to be a char short; barcodes are normally six chars

RonCaplinger
Level 6

True!  I think this is the second time I've mistaken -id for -backupid.  Ignore me.  I need a vacation.  :)

Will_Restore
Level 6

I just got back from one & need another soon smiley

perez_cmz
Level 6

The media id was actually 015741. When I ran bpimmedia -mediaid 015741 it returned several backup id's of images on the tape.

When I tried running bpduplicate again to both of the storage units at this site, I received the following.

[root@sv144889 ~]# bpduplicate -id 015741 -dstunit US_NYK_MS2_PTL17_LTO5
Duplicate started Thu 01 May 2014 08:38:49 PM CEST
Activity monitor job id = 239954565
INF - found no images or media matching the selection criteria

[root@sv144889 ~]# bpduplicate -id 015741 -dstunit US_NYK_MS1_PTL17_LTO5
Duplicate started Thu 01 May 2014 08:40:03 PM CEST
Activity monitor job id = 239954566

RonCaplinger
Level 6

You need to follow the post from "wr" above: add the start and end parameters to the command so that images that were written within that timeframe will be included in the search for images to duplicate.  Otherwise it seems to only look for images written in the past 24 hours.

perez_cmz
Level 6

Same result after adding start and end dates.

[root@sv144889 ~]# bpduplicate -id 015741 -dstunit US_NYK_MS1_PTL17_LTO5 -s 04/01/13 -e 05/02/14
Duplicate started Fri 02 May 2014 01:31:32 PM CEST
Activity monitor job id = 239958737

Marianne
Level 6

What were the dates seen in bpimmedia output?

It will also help if you show us output of 'bpmedialist -m 015741'.