cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving images from one master server to another - Advice

Junaid_Mohammad
Level 4
I am planning to move all my backup images from one master server to another master. I will keep all my images and media information on my current master server but turn off the entire backup polices and keep all the drives down.

When I move an image across, I am able to perform a restore on the new master server, but if I want use the same media for new backup image, I am finding that the existing images are being overwritten with the new backup images.

I know that the new master server has not got a db entry of the media, (time assigned entry), but how can I tell the new master server that the media transferred from the old master server has a valid image and when you perform a new backup, then do not over write the exist images, but go to the last index of images. I want to do this without performing a 2 phase import.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Junaid
9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you read this white paper?

Replicating or Copying Image Catalogs
Recovery Without Import
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_DataCenter/263423.pdf

Junaid_Mohammad
Level 4
Bob,
I have read this document, but it does not discuss or recommend steps on using existing media for new backups.

This is what I am interested in.

Thanks

Junaid

Stumpr2
Level 6
Junaid,

I do not know of any way that this can be done. I would simply freeze the tapes until the image expires and then I would reuse the tape. Another option would be to bpduplicate the images unto another tape and then bpexpdate copy 1.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Any thoughts on the two suggestions above?

Carlos_Santos
Level 3
Hi Junaid

Tu use this tapes in anhoter media server, this media server need to know this medias, for taht you should copy the mediaDB and volDB of one mster/media to another

If the second mster is just used only for contingency you can do a catalog backup of the first master and restore in the other.

Now if the second master/media is in production, you need to do a procedure to merge them.

Junaid_Mohammad
Level 4
Freezing the media on Master Server1 is the option i was thinking off and copy all the images, polices acorss. The bpduplicate option will take to long (748 media). I might as well do a import.

Junaid_Mohammad
Level 4
The second master sever will be in production, so i need a procedure for the merge, do you have any advice.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Yup i agree with you on the reuse of backup media.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Stumpr2
Level 6
I too will soon be adding another master server to the environment. This is necessary because of growth will not allow for only 1 master server. What I will do is sort of a line in the sand approach.

The current master server will assume ownership of a media servers tapes and the tapes will remain in that netbackup environment for restores only.
I will follow the technote on de-commissioning a media server
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230047.htm

Then I will move the media server and its clients to the new master and configure it for the new environment.