Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving master server

sumesh_2
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Tech gurus,

Please suggest the easiest way to move master server to new server. what are the things to take care.
6 REPLIES 6

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Is the new master server going to have the same name?  Same type of hardware?

sumesh_2
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Computer name should be same but hardware is different.

MattS
Level 6

Hi all,

I was just searching for the same thing and thought it would be stupid to create a new thread so i'll tac my migration info here too if yall dont mind.

Im moving from Solaris9 NB6.0-MP7  to a VM of Oracle for RHEL4 64bit.

After reading some similar posts in these forums i realize it's going to be a lot easier to keep the master server name the same as the old one.

What im a little stumped about is what directories/files are needed to be copied over? Or should i just backup the master server and catalog and do a sorta disater recovery drill and recover the master?

Message Edited by MattS on 02-24-2009 05:58 AM

Alexis_Gonzalo_
Level 4

==Step 0==

I'll asume the NEW SERVER already has the same hostname as the original server.

If that is not the case and you have already installed NetBackup in the new server, then first uninstall it and then rename the O.S.

I'll also asume you are using the same Operating System as the original server. I don't know what special considerations are required if the O.S. is different.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter if it's the same hardware of it uses the same IP address.

==Step 1==

In the OLD SERVER, do the following:

a) Write down which policies are active. Then, desactivate all policies and disk-stagings, if you have them.

b) Stop all running jobs. Make sure no user is going to send you User-Directed-Backups or Restores. If that requires to temporaly unplug the ethernet cable, so be it.

c) Create a catalog backup. Either off-line or online backups work fine.

d) Make a copy of the hosts table. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts or /etc/hosts.

e) Get all the NetBackup licenses

f) Optional: Get NBSU from http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303813.htm and use it to collect any info from the present configuration that you may need later. NBSU should collect the info required in points a, d and e.

g) Make sure this server doesn't mess with the new server (they have the same hostname...). Typical actions are powering it off or changing both the hostname and the IP address.

==Step 2==

In the NEW SERVER, make available the old resources. This includes:

a) Robotic Libraries

b) Storage Arrays

c) Ethernet Networks

d) etc.

Make sure the O.S. correctly recognizes these.

==Step 3==

In the NEW SERVER, Update the hosts table with your backup.

Install the same version of NetBackup you used to have before.

Please, please, please: install it in the same directory/folder as in the previous installation!! (i.e.: "C:\Program Files\Veritas", or "/usr/openv/", etc).

Use the same licenses you used before.

==Step 4==

In the NEW SERVER, restore the catalog you created in step 1.

==Step 5==

In the NEW SERVER, check the correct configuration of the NetBackup devices (storage-units).

Activate the required policies and disk-stagings.

That's more or less it.

Alexis_Gonzalo_
Level 4

If you already have installed the operating system in the new server, installing NB and recovering the catalog should do.

... In Windows, most of the NetBackup configuration resides in the installation directory. By default it's C:\Program Files\Veritas\. The rest of the configuration is in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas.

In UNIX, almost everything is in /usr/openv/. Check the /etc/services and /etc/default/inetd.conf files for the NetBackup services and ports required.

Both in Windows and in UNIX, almost all this stuff is restored with the catalog.

You may need the original hosts table, but I guess that's it.

MattS
Level 6
Thanks Alexis, exactly what i was looking for. I'll post how it goes :)