cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB 7.0 and CatalogBackup volume pool.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I would like to know from the people who have upgraded to NB 7.0 - how you worked around the issue of the CatalogBackup pool - as stated on page 11 of the NB 7.0 Additional Operational Notes.  ( I was going to put the link here but I cannot get it to work  http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337179 )

It says that if you have a pool called CatalogBackup - which I do - used for Hot catalog backups. 
That you must move the  media to a new pool.
And then deleted the pool CatalogBackup prior to doing the 7.0 upgrade.

Well just how do you move catalog tapes that are still assigned!

So, I was wondering how others that did the upgrade worked around this issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

I can't find any information about this issue in "Additional Operational Notes".
I upgraded NB from 6.5.5 to 7.0 without issues. Catalog Backup works fine. I even restored catalog after server crash and there was no problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

I can't find any information about this issue in "Additional Operational Notes".
I upgraded NB from 6.5.5 to 7.0 without issues. Catalog Backup works fine. I even restored catalog after server crash and there was no problem.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I have a hard copy of the doc, and it is on page 11.  (wish I could get the link to work)

Nice to know it worked ok for you, and you did have a Pool with the exact name "CatalogBackup"?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Interesting.... Its's on p.10 of the pdf doc:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/337179.pdf

If you upgrade from a previous version of NetBackup and currently have a  olume pool named CatalogBackup, a volume pool name conflict can occur.
Before the upgrade, users should do the following in the previous version of NetBackup:
■ Create a new volume pool.
■ Move the media that is currently in the CatalogBackup volume pool into the new volume pool.
■ Delete the CatalogBackup volume pool.
The installation portion of the upgrade process creates a new default volume pool titled CatalogBackup.

Seems this note was taken AS IS from the 6.5 Add Operational Notes p.13.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/288211.pdf

It was possible to upgrade from 5.1 where there were no hot catalog backups and no default CatalogBackup pool.

I would say you can safely ignore this section..........

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I got my links working, and if you go to the Late Breaking News doc, and get the Additional notes from their, the "current" version of the doc does not have that in it.

Right now I am just making my pre and post list of notes, and I would have reviewed it the week before I upgrade.

I am giving credit to Marek for being the first to point out it is no longer in the doc.

But thanks to Marianne for seeing that it may have just been a carry over from the 6.5 docs.