cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB 7.5 Windows 2003 Server R2 master - slowness issue

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hello.

Recently installed fresh install of NB 7.5.0.3 on Windows 2003 server r2. Install went fine, backups are completing with no errors. Just have a basic disk added, and pointing everything there. No duplication jobs, no disk staging, no tapes.

I have noticed that the speed of backup jobs are slowing down quite a bit. When I first kick off a backup, the speeds are flying at anywhere from 30-47,000 KB/Sec in the detailed status of job. As backup goes on, speed will continue to slow down. Once finished, average speed is 8220 KB/Sec.

I turned off kaspersky completely. This helped the speed, but by a fraction. On a Windows Master (which I'm new to), what are other causes to these types of issues?  Where else can I start to look? This is only backing up one client (samba server on Red Hat 6.2 'santiago'). Client software is 7.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In general, with other backup software, it is usual to slow down if backup target has handreds of thousands of files because directory lookup and file open operation takes some cost in time. From the perspective of throughput, this phase does not transer any real data, and these cost brings down average transer rate.
(while handling directories and files, no file contents transered.)

For first, have a look on this technote, and measure read performance on the client host.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56131

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

In general, with other backup software, it is usual to slow down if backup target has handreds of thousands of files because directory lookup and file open operation takes some cost in time. From the perspective of throughput, this phase does not transer any real data, and these cost brings down average transer rate.
(while handling directories and files, no file contents transered.)

For first, have a look on this technote, and measure read performance on the client host.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56131

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why not to keep environment at same level

Can you get RHEL client also upgraded at same level as master is?

If it's Standard Policy which you are trying. Try exploring Flashbackup and check if it helps

You can also try bpbkar testto simulate where network is bottleneck or disk itself

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you are sure that the server and network are OK then try adding these flat (no extension) files and see if it helps:

\netbackup\db\config\NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK

\netbackup\db\config\SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK

open the first and put a value of 32 in it and in the second put 1048576

then try another job - just tuning parameters

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hello. I used Microsoft iSCSI Initiator to create the basic disk that I'm using for my only storage device - from what I've read, as long as NB sees this as a local drive (which it does), this should not cause any issue. I updated the client to 7.5.0.3, and that didn't fix it.

Would the basic disk (how it was mounted) cause a problem with slowness?

watsons
Level 6

This technote may give you some more guides to check:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56210

Tuning on both Windows 2003 & 2008 are available.

Check your disk I/O as well.

lovethatcheese
Level 5

I've been through the Windows 2003 tuning guide, but am still getting quite slow transfers on Full backups. Not an issue with incrementals. Anyone else have any ideas??