cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 5.1 MP5 Missed Backups

OldOpsGuy
Level 2
I've looked through posts going back quite some time, and while I admit I may have missed some, I didn't see this problem addressed.

I have a NBU 5.1 MP5 master/media server on a Solaris 10 platform.  I have a bunch of policies with frequency-based incremental backup schedules.  Each policy backs up a single volume on a different Windows client (long story!) They have wide open (midnight-to-midnight, 7 days a week) windows with frequencies of 2 hours.  I've had a series of these fail due to network issues, and they have not rescheduled.  I created a new schedule in one of the policies and it ran the next time bprd woke up and kicked off bpsched.  None of the others that failed has rescheduled automatically since the failed backups.

In the "All log entries" report, every time bprd wakes up, I get a series of these:

"skipping backup of client <client-name>, policy <policy-name>, schedule <schedule-name> because it has exceeded the configured number of tries" - one for each of the clients with failed backups.

The number of retries is set at the default - twice in 12 hours.  Am I going to have to wait 12 hours for these to resume scheduling automatically?  That's where I'm putting my money.

Does this make sense to anybody?  I can understand this behavior governs retries of failed backups, but I would not have thought it would prevent further executions of scheduled backups.

Is there a lock file or some other entry somewhere that can be cleared to elliminate this problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6

Am I going to have to wait 12 hours for these to resume scheduling automatically? 
YES

but I would not have thought it would prevent further executions of scheduled backups.
NO, it has no bearings on successfull backups. The frequency is determined by the policy schedule

Is there a lock file or some other entry somewhere that can be cleared to elliminate this problem?
NO you will have to chage from the default of 2 per 12 to a shorter period
maybe 2 per hour?

OldOpsGuy
Level 2
You were absolutely right - after 12 hours, they started scheduling again.  In a strange sort of way, it makes sense.  I'll have to keep an eye on it and see whether it happens often enough to change the default to something shorter than 12 hours.

Thanks!

Stumpr2
Level 6
Your welcome.

Vox
Level 3
I think I have the same issue - I checked the reports today under problems and it says many many times -

[3] backup of client xxxx, policy xxxx, is suspended: exceeded configured number of tries for a schedule

I have my policies scheduled via calendar picked days - where to change this interval of 2 - 12 hr?

The backups are running when they are supposed to and completing successfully.... 

I took a look here:

Hrrm, this makes me paranoid!
:)

Message Edited by Vox on 06-20-200709:01 PM

Stumpr2
Level 6

Vox wrote:
I have my policies scheduled via calendar picked days - where to change this interval of 2 - 12 hr?

You can set it in the GUI in the master server's properties or
You can set it from the command line using the command bpconfig