cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.1 How do I .........?

Jim_Miller
Level 3
Windows 2003 Master/ Media running NBU Ent 6.5.1

I need to backup a MS DPM 2007 server. The DPM instructions indicate to perform a backup that "does not modify the filesystem in any way"

How can I create a backup policy that works like the Backup Exec "Copy" method; not modifying archive bits?

Thanks

jim
3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
It's not done on the policy level.
You need to chnge the client's Netbackup properties
on whether or not to use archive bits.

Message Edited by Stumpr on 02-26-2008 05:20 PM

Jim_Miller
Level 3
I did look there and read the help for "Perform incrementals based on archive bit"
Am I missing some other setting?

If I uncheck this box:

1) A full backup still clears the archive bit
2) The backup will then use timestamps to determine what gets taken during an incremental

I believe what I want is a backup that takes everything (except excluded files) ignoring archive bits and modify dates

Here is the text from the help:

Includes the files in an incremental backup only if the archive bit of the file is set. The system sets this bit whenever a file changes; it normally remains set until NetBackup clears it.
Select this option to have NetBackup include files in an incremental backup only if their archive bit is set. A full backup always clears the archive bit. A differential-incremental backup clears the archive bit if the file backs up successfully within the Wait Time Before Clearing Archive Bits setting. (The wait time is configured on the NetBackup master server.) A cumulative-incremental or user backup has no effect on the archive bit.
Uncheck the Incrementals Based on Archive Bit check box if the file datetime stamp has changed since the last backup. NetBackup then includes a file in an incremental backup only. For a differential-incremental backup, NetBackup compares the datetime stamp to the last full or incremental backup. For a cumulative-incremental backup, NetBackup compares the timestamp to the last full backup.
If you install or copy files from another computer, the new files retain the date timestamp of the originals. If the original date is before the last backup date on this computer, the new files are not backed up until the next full backup.
Do not combine differential incremental backups and cumulative incremental backups within the same Windows policy when the incremental backups are based on archive bit (default).

Stumpr2
Level 6
While you were in the "Help" section,
did you read the section on "Use Change Journal"?

Will that work for your need?