Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.3 and SCAN-ACS

Ajenda
Level 4
Partner
Hi,
If a tape drive that is ACSLS controlled is appearing as SCAN-ACS under the Control column for devices, and it not being used what would be the process to get this drive to register as ACTIVE?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In an SSO environment, one media server needs to be the SCAN host for the tape drives. Normally the 1st media server to start up device management service/daemons becomes the SCAN host. Therefore the status of SCAN-ACS.
You can read more about SCAN host and 'scan ability' in the NetBackup SharedStorage Guide.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

quebek
   VIP    Certified
I would check on acsls side if drive is in available state - query drive all - and search for Your drive.
If there drive is in available state, check the FC zonning, is drive still logged to fabric, is your FC HBA to see the drive??
Check if acsls server is responidng to ping from You master server.
If it is, then check on OS lvl if drive is still there. Try to recreate device special files for this drive (under UNIX) on windows remove it and rediscover. Once this is done - stop ltid daemon with stopltid command and run it with ltid command. All Your running jobs will fail at that time.

Check also this doc: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267306.htm

Ajenda
Level 4
Partner
Hi Quebek,
Thanks for the response, I will check out your suggestions. Where you mentioned "Try to recreate the device special files for this drive" what would be the process for this operation? I am familiar with devfsadm commands and sg.buil/sg.install, would that be what you are referencing?

quebek
   VIP    Certified
If You are on UNIX remove the rmt device for your scan-acs drive. Later on run devfsadm -Cv (not sure about C switch - check with man, should clear non exisiting devices on your os) - with sg.build/sg.install i am hesitating but might be worth of trying.

Ajenda
Level 4
Partner
I will go through this information and see if that helps.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In an SSO environment, one media server needs to be the SCAN host for the tape drives. Normally the 1st media server to start up device management service/daemons becomes the SCAN host. Therefore the status of SCAN-ACS.
You can read more about SCAN host and 'scan ability' in the NetBackup SharedStorage Guide.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
If so Marianne has right ;D
and please then refer to mentioned doc. I just assumed you are not using SSO.