cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools to monitor netbackup

Glen_Harrison
Level 4

Hi

We runn 6.0mp5 soon to be 6.5.3.1 on HP-UX master server. Are there any tools out there that can monitor netbackup and alert back via snmp? We primarily want to monitor the backup queue to be sure backups are indeed running. Sometimes we find netbackup will just stop queing jobs for some reason.

6 REPLIES 6

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Start by checking out Chapter 5 of the NOM Guide:

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Operations Manager Guide

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290227

There are some other TechNotes dealing with NOM and SNMP as well, but this is probably the place to start to determine if NOM will work for you.

Stumpr2
Level 6

"Sometimes we find netbackup will just stop queing jobs for some reason."

Your problem is with nbpem and it should be fixed when you upgrade to 6.5.3.1

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
You can also use Veritas SNMP extention

You can download the necessary files from the ftp site mfgftp.veritas.com. The

subdirectory is VRTSene. Use the following login information from the command line:

Username: readsnmp

Password: F**dB@ck

Directory: VRTSene

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
On 6.5.x you can setup nom - has a rebort for checking for servers that were not backed up that you can schedule to run when you want.

Jacob
Level 4
I guess I'm a bit old fashion. I tend to create small scripts which check for running process, down drives etc and use sendmail or text message (sms) to info admins about problems.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Good for you Jacob.
CLI is the best when you have a UNIX platform. And Glen has an HP-UX. Please provide him some of your small scripts to use as examples. I will give you a thumbs up!