Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5. Push Install Oracle agent

kkhoo
Level 5

how to push install an oracle agent?

master server is on SUSE 9 and NBU 6.5

client is on SUSE10 with Oracle db.

Question is how to push install oracle agent?

I have oracle agent installed to other client..

Please help, thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Command will be like this - I assume client is in a file system policy and correctly configured with respect to OS and hardware version.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients -allunique  | grep clientname > /tmp/nbu-clientname.txt

update_dbclients Oracle –ClientList /tmp/nbu-clientname.txt

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Will_Restore
Level 6

Oh my, 6.5 is really ancient at this point! 

Found this blog from 2009 that leads you through the Oracle Agent installation:

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/installing-netbackup-oracle-agent-unix

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No! Really! NBU 6.5 ran out of support in 2012 and all documentation has been removed from Symantec / Veritas website. You REALLY need to upgrade. Or find your 6.5 dvd set and look for the Documentation disc. The NBU 6.5 for Oracle Guide will tell you how to install directly on the client and how to push install. If memory serves me right, you could push install from the master if the db binaries are installed on the master with something like update_dbclients.

kkhoo
Level 5

Thanks Marianne. Infact we have the upgraded backup system which is on 7.6.0.4.

However, some of the clients are not supported.. thus we need to maintain old NBU until tech refresh..

Yes, update_dbclients is available in my master server. Is the push install the same?

#/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_dbclients ftp <client>

kkhoo
Level 5

thanks Will Restore. I dont have the install cd anymore .. =(

Marianne
Level 6
No idea if it is the same. Look for your Documentation dvd and look in NBU for Oracle Guide. I seem to vaguely remember that you should specify client hardware and policy type (Oracle). Try update_dbclients -help. What you need to check is if the Oracle agent software for all Unix/Linux clients is indeed installed on the master as this is not installed by default. If client is patched to 6.5.x, then 6.5.x Oracle agent and 6.5.x Java agent must also be installed.

kkhoo
Level 5

Thanks for your update Marianne.

Yes. At client, NBU version shows NetBackup-SuSE2.6 6.5.4.

i intend to test to one of my vm machine. But this VM has no db on it. Can i still test and install Oracle agent?

Marianne
Level 6
You can only push-install db agent if the agent is installed on the master and if Client exists in Oracle policy. Have you tried to find your 6.5 Documentation?

kkhoo
Level 5

Yes. I found the documentation and reading through it now.. smiley

Will try to push install now..

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am puzzled - are your master server at 6.5 or 7.x ?

You can't do a push install from a NBU 7.x master when the client is a 6.5. The oracle agent on the master server will be at version 7.x

In order to install a 6.5 Oracle agent when using a 7.x master, you need to find the NBU 6.5GA and the NBU 6.5.X patch and install the agent local.

Marianne
Level 6

From Opening post: 

master server is on SUSE 9 and NBU 6.5

client is on SUSE10 with Oracle db.

kkhoo
Level 5

Hi Nicolai, Thanks for your reply.

I managed to push install nbu client from master server.

Now, i dont have installation cd for oracle agent.. =(

I have yet to try update_dbclient install from master server...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This one puzzled me : Infact we have the upgraded backup system which is on 7.6.0.4.

It was not 100% clear to me if we where talking one or two Netbackup domains.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Command will be like this - I assume client is in a file system policy and correctly configured with respect to OS and hardware version.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients -allunique  | grep clientname > /tmp/nbu-clientname.txt

update_dbclients Oracle –ClientList /tmp/nbu-clientname.txt

Marianne
Level 6

Before we carry on - what makes you think this client will not work in NBU 7.6 environment?

Have you tried to check the NBU 7.0 - 7.6 DB compatibility guide?

I see various Oracle versions supported on SUSE10 as from NBU 7.0 onwards.

And why install now?

Is this a new setup in the environment?

kkhoo
Level 5

Thanks Nicolai. So i can do a update_dbclients even the client has no oracle agent installed on it?

Hi Marianne, you  mean having NBU client 6.5, i can install a oracle db agent from nbu 7.0-7.6?

This client has Networker backup software... Networker server is going to be decomm.. thus we need to move backup policy to NBU.

As the client is on 32-bit, we cannot migrate to NBU 7.6.x.x.

Temporary work-around is to migrate the backup policy to our old nbu server which is on 6.5.

kkhoo
Level 5

thanks Nicolai.

So i can do a update_dbclients even the client has no oracle agent installed on it?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sorry no - you can't. 

Netbackup always work the way that you need to have the GA (6.5.0 so to say) client loded, then you patch to version XXX

kkhoo
Level 5

Thanks Nicolai.

What i did is upgrade client from 6.5.4 to 6.5.6.

Then to install NB_ORA_6.5.6 (pending as i am not sure if db shutdown is required).