cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6 Installation Guide - Major Upgrade Documenation Typo?

Vince_Corona
Level 4
In the NBU 6 Installation Guide, on page 32 is instructs as one of the steps to performing an upgrade to run the command:

install_path\Volmgr\bin\vmoprcmd -deactivate_host -h device_host

The above command syntax is invalid as the "deactivate_host" switch does not exist.

Alternatively, they offer the option to use the gui to right click the device host and click deactivate, which also does not exist.

We are upgrading from NBU 5.1 MP3.

Does anyone know the correct command to type here, or is this step in general not necessary?

Please Help!!!
7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
Hello Vince,

I am afraid that this may not be too helpful but....
The -activate_host/-deactivate_host is a valid entry in 6.0 according to the 6.0 Commands For Windows admin guide.

Activate/Deactivate host command
install_path\Volmgr\bin\vmoprcmd

-activate_host
Makes the host available to run jobs.

-deactivate_host
Makes the host unavailable to run jobs.

I don't know why the instructions say to use it. I can't suggest an alternative since I do not know why it needs to be deactivated and also what services/daemons are involved.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Not too helpful if we are currently running 5.1. Possibly I can extract that command from the 6.0 source and see what happens when I run it.

Stumpr2
Level 6
No I wouldn't do that. Is there anything in the Release Notes? No. nothing in the Release Notes. Sorry.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
If the point is to make the host unable to run jobs, options would be:

Deactivate all policies OR stop all NBU services/processes.
The net result is the same, the host will not run jobs...

Stumpr2
Level 6
That appears to be the question.
I first thought of deactivating the policies but then I discovered later on in the Install Guide for EMM it say to first deactivate policies and then use the -deactivate_host.

I am not sure about stopping the services/daemons because vmd may be needed for some sort of prep work for the EMM..

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Veritas called me back on this case. They claimed that engineering admitted this is an unnecessary step and will be removed from the documentation in the next release of the manuals.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thank you Vince!
I was persuing the solution because I hope to be able to upgrade to NB 6 in the second quarter. Good luck!