cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5 Capacity licensing

daveNBU
Level 2

Hi All,

First time post on the forum. I'm currently looking at Netbackup Capacity licensing and have a few questions.

I wish to backup a mixture of physical and virtual servers, utilising netbackup appliances (5020), so if I went for the Netbackup Data Protection Optimization package would I need to have any other netbackup licenses?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to discuss this with your local Symantec reseller.

Capacity based license includes all agents and options except deduplication.

Netbackup Data Protection Optimization license is needed for deduplication. This is not included in capacity based license. 

Both options are licensed 'per front end Terabyte'.

daveNBU
Level 2

So if i want to protect 10TB of frontend data (with dedupe features), I would require 10TB of "Netbackup Platform Base" and 10TB of "Netbackup Data Protection Optimization"?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok Presuming you won't use Media Server Encryption Option. There you go, NBU DPO (Data Protection Optimization) license would do all . .Just be aware that capacity does not exceeds,or if it gets exceed do not forget to get in touch with your Symantec account manager /sales manager for additional capacity. As far i know incremental are available in TBs, but have read it exists for 250 GB as well, but haven't heard this from Sym personnel.

Also your assessment is correct for 10 TB front end data you need to have to have minimum 10TB DPO license

I would recommend to verify your organization growth for next 3 years . and based on your backup strategy procure the capacity. So you won't run into buying additional capacity very same year u bought  ;)

hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Never saw this post back in July....

This is not true. Data protection Option does NOT include everything.
Only NetBackup Accelerator and NetBackup intelligent deduplication features are included in Data Protection Option.

From Licensing Guide:

The Platform Base licensing model does not include all NetBackup features and products. Data Protection Optimization and RealTime are available add-ons.
The NetBackup Platform Base license must be purchased for all front-end terabytes in the NetBackup domain.
The NetBackup Platform Data Protection Optimization Add-on and the NetBackup Platform RealTime Add-on licenses can be purchased for the distinct terabytes that they will protect.
For example, the size of the total environment is 10 terabytes, 3 of the terabytes will be protected with the NetBackup Data Protection Optimization Add-on and 2 with RealTime Protection, the licensing requirements would be the following;
· 10 terabytes of NetBackup Platform,
· 3 terabytes of the NetBackup Platform Data Protection Optimization Add-on and
· 2 terabytes of the NetBackup Platform RealTime Add-on

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi all , what about enabling Data Protection Optimization Add-on option? I have the both licenses but the acclerator check box still dimmed . Regards,