cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.6.0.2 can't list VM's

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i installed a new NBU 7.6.0.2 environment. For the first time my masterserver is also mediaserver. We want to backup a large number of VM's of two or three vCenter. Therefore i take the configuration in the masterserver properties, so i add the mediaserver as VM Backup Host. After them i created the vCenter credentials. They would be verified so i would create a new vmware policy. But if i create a new policy - i cannot browse my VM's. NBU ask the first vCenter but it timed out. Under installdir\\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl i see a xml file with the name of our vCenter. After the timeout i'm not able to browse VM's. Whats the failure? Credentials are verfied and lan access is fine.

Is there any logfiles where i can check why the vCenter reading timed out?

Kind regards

derhoeppi85 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i found the mistake. In bpVMutil log is the indication. NBU tries to resolve every ip of any VM. This take to long so i get the timeout warning. I created an registry entry to disable this function. After them i can browse my vm's. The list would be created in a few seconds.

The solution would be described in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/recently-upgraded-75-and-now-vm-browsing-doesnt-work

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirm you have added the user with the credentials above into vSphere against the correct desired object.

See here,

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vmware-howto#comment-10145011

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

for testing i use my own account with full administrative rights to the whole vCenter. We also have a backupuser with the recommended rights for backup and recovery from Symantec.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is another interesting technote:

How to use the VMware MOB to identify what network information is returned by VMware

If there is ever a question about what guest information VMware is providing to NetBackup, use the Browse objects managed by vSphere to review that information.

Also, Page 210 onwards for the NetBackup For VMware Guide 7.6 details troubleshooting logs directories.

bpVMutil is a regular one to go check on.

Also the guide does detail how to prevent browsing delays caused by DNS problems, as well as changing the browsing timeout value.

These might help in your environment.

Deeps
Level 6

Can we check this one-by-one for each individual VCenter server by putting the other 2 in exclude list ?The issue might be at 1 particular VCenter and itis causing NBU to timeout.

Try this and also enable the bpvmutil logs.

To limit the VMware servers that NetBackup discovers, per VMware backup host:

1 On the Windows desktop of the VMware backup host, click Start > Run and enter regedit.

2 To be on the safe side, make a backup of the current registry (File > Export).

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

3 Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Veritas > NetBackup >
CurrentVersion > Config and create a key called BACKUP.

4 Right-click in the right pane and click New > String Value. Enter
excludeVMservers as the name.

5 Right-click the excludeVMservers name and click Modify.

6 In the EditString dialog, enter a comma-delimited list of the VMware servers
that are NOT to be queried when NetBackup browses the network. Do not
enter spaces. You can enter vCenter servers and individual ESX servers.
The exclude list applies only to this VMware backup host. The servers are not queried when NetBackup browses for virtual machines to list on the policy's Browse for Virtual Machines dialog of the NetBackup Administration Console.

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i activated the bpVMutil-Log and restart the automatic browseing for VM's. After activation i looked in the textfile and look for errors. Only the physical network connection and the guest system name failed because of no route to our vCenter. The IP is also shown.

At this moment i'm looking to change the timeout settings. The exclude of one vCenter via registry is not a purpose because if i configured only one vCenter - i has the same effect.

When i came to work this morning i see some other files under installdir\\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl, so it looks like NBU take an autodiscover over weekend. Is that a function of NBU without an created policy with query? After it looks like i can create a policy with a query as source. The automatic browsing still not work and i don't see the last date of update the list. 

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i found the mistake. In bpVMutil log is the indication. NBU tries to resolve every ip of any VM. This take to long so i get the timeout warning. I created an registry entry to disable this function. After them i can browse my vm's. The list would be created in a few seconds.

The solution would be described in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/recently-upgraded-75-and-now-vm-browsing-doesnt-work