Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Media Server Deduplciation Query

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear Team,

- I'll be configuring NetBackUp Media Server Deduplication so as to backup my clients

- My main Office has one NBU Server which will be used to backup my clients. The NBU Server architecture and my requirements is shown in the document I've attached.

- Now I have my DR Site where I'll have to restore the data for my DR servers but what I want is without duplicating the images on tape can i restore the data on the clients i.e. I'll be using volume replication.

- To get an overall idea please refer the document

Please do feel free to revert back in case of queries

1 REPLY 1

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hey Mate,

You have a few options here:

1. You can install the Media Server with the Deduplication DIsk pool in your DR, take the Catalog Backup in your prod and use Optimised Duplication to send the images to the DR. You would also need to duplicate all images from the prod to the DR. If required - you would have to convert the Media Server in the DR to the Master Server and recover the Catalog from the Dedup DP.

2. In your DR set up a Media Server with the Dedup DP and duplicate each backup taken in the PROD to the DR. Set up additional Machine in the DR and assign exactly the same hostname as for your Master server in the PROD (don't add it to the DNS, nor to AD), use different IP address. Install Master Server binaries on this server. In this case replicate NetBackup Catalog and Databases to the Master Server in the DR. '

3. Use Real Time for NetBackup if you have a few available LUNs in SAN

4. Build a Master Server in your DR with totally different name - use AIR and use optimised duplication to send images to the Master Server in the DR.