cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU and Sharepoint 2010 Backup configuration

smakovits
Level 6

Just curious if there are any real world documentation examples out there for sharepoint backup configuration.  I had gone through the admin guide but some things arent very clear and my backup jobs are failing.  Therefore, I can only imagine I screwed something up because I did not understand what was required.

For instance, distributed application restore mapping, application host and component host.

However, given that this is for restore, it is not my issue with the backups.  That, is something else.

11 REPLIES 11

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Could you brief us what actually you did.

Distributed application restore mappings are required only if SharePoint farm is distributed among several servers  (i.e Web Server, App Server Search server SQL server. etc.) If SharePoint farm consist only single server with all roles no need to configure distributed app mappings.

What error are you getting

smakovits
Level 6

We have 2 web servers, 2 application servers and a clustered SQL backend.

smakovits
Level 6

Within the documentation I did not understand if on my sql backend if I need to set NBU to run under the service account I created with administrative priveleges.  - this was one thing I was not clear on.

Another issue I think is potentially with the policies I created and the clients within those policies.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Configuring the log on account for the NetBackup Client Service for NetBackup for SharePoint on Windows

The NetBackup Client Service must be authorized to run as the system administrator (Windows 2008) or the SharePoint administrator (Windows 2003). In Windows Services, configure the NetBackup Client Service properties for the host(s) where the Index Files or Index database(s) reside and where the document libraries reside.

To configure the log on account for the NetBackup Client Service

1. Open the Windows Services application.

2. Double-click on the NetBackup Client Service entry.

3. Click on the Log On tab.

4. If Local System account is not selected as the Log on as account, proceed with step 9.

5. Provide the name of the account for the system administrator (Windows 2008) or the SharePoint administrator (Windows 2003).

6. Type the password.

7. Click OK.

8. Stop and start the NetBackup Client Service.

9. Close the Services control panel application

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO72293

smakovits
Level 6

OK, so the only place I did not have it was on the sql servers.  I have now added these credentials to the 2 sql backend servers but the backups still fail. 

I would assume at this point I may have issue with my policies and the way they are configured.

watsons
Level 6

What is the error code / message you are getting?

Try this first, login to your Sharepoint frontend server, launch the Netbackup BAR GUI - do you see the "Microsoft Sharepoint Resources" component. That is the first thing to check before you even run a backup. If you can't see if, your backup would definitely fail.

So, to have backup working you need to see that component, if you can't.. go through the checklist again to see what you're missing:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148598

smakovits
Level 6

OK, awesome, Progress.

The issue appears to be that the service account was not a sysadmin on the SQL DB.  That is now in place and as stated should be possible, I see sharepoint in the BAR GUI.

Now I figure it is time to move to the policy configurations. which I created based on the admin guid which again was not the clearest.

One thing I did notice is the need to go to disk.

The backups can only be Full backups, and must be taken to a disk storage unit, not tape.  They can be staged off to tape media at a later time, but the initial backup must be to disk.  If you stage the backup image to tape, you must duplicate the image back to disk before a restore can be attempted.

Is that all policies or just the granular backup one?

I believe I also read that the first granular backup should be taken with the granular backup turned off, is this right?

smakovits
Level 6

OK, so I attempted to run one of the backups.

Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\http://my URL*

and it fails status 2

This is my backup that would be the granular backup

Will_Restore
Level 6

try using this instead:

Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\AllWebs

smakovits
Level 6

OK, More progress, I changed my URL* to AllWebs and the backup started and launched a backup of the SQL server, but it now failed status 130.

One thing I wanted to ask was in regards to something found on another posting and I was trying to understand if it was needed and if so, how and what do I do exactly.

6. In the policy, the client selection is a front end web server for the SharePoint portal.  The backup selection for your first policy should be: "Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\"

If you want to use GRT, you have to make that policy first and run a backup (its an object level backup just as Sharepoint might perform by himself) without the "Enable Granular Recovery" check box ticked.  Then you activate GRT and add 'AllWebs" to the backup selection.

smakovits
Level 6

I tried this on both SQL nodes, but it still fails.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147084

Could have anything to do with the backup calling the instance name vs the specific node?