cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU java console or Window console, which is better?

FlyMountain
Level 6

My manger is recommended us to use NBU java console. But we prefer to use Window console since it has more details such as library topology and some copy and paste functions. Plus Java console will need authtication when log in. Not sure any other major differences.

Any ideas which one is better? Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Generally, I find the Windows Admin console better - a bit less 'buggy', if you know what I mean .

M

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Definitely Windows Admin console. The Java console tends to have more issues overall.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

the search allows you to do 4 lines of params if you are looking for a big grouping, the java only has one line.

I like the look and navigation of the windows better than the java as well.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

It's a personal preference thing, like iOS vs. Android.  ;)

I prefer the Java console, because I don't have to add every PC I use as a valid server to my master server properties in order to use it.  I've had 3 different PC's in the past 3 years, so that's a bit of a pain to have to keep track of them. 

The Windows Backup, Archive, Restore is integrated into the Java GUI instead of a separate program, and seems to be considerably faster at locating files in large file system backups.  And I dislike the green/blue dot interface for selecting backup images in the Windows GUI. 

The library topology in the Windows GUI is neat to look at, but I've never had a real reason in the past 5 years to make any use of it, even at my previous job where we had 30+ media servers, 2 robots, and 80+ tape drives.

The filter function JH mentions is not a problem for me, I use the Advanced filter to narrow down my selections.

The Java console can also be run from a Unix system, too, and the interface is then consistent across both OS's.

The Java console can be finicky about memory settings and such, though.  And the window can sometimes leave artifacts on screen like a partially updated section of the Java GUI window.  I just close and reopen it and all is well.  And I can't always copy/paste a listing from the Java GUi to another program.  But I work around that by exporting the list to the default export1.txt name and using Excel to open that.

FlyMountain
Level 6

thanks RonCaplinger

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

In NetBackup 7.5 the Java console responsiveness is supposed to be improved, mainly due to bpjobd improvements and catalog image metadata now being in the EMM Database.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

In the BAR the dots for choosing the backup images it just a horrid way to do it

but you can change they with

View

uncheck show as time line

then you get to see the date and time each backup started and the size and other info -

when your backups start before and after midnight it is much easier to pick the ones you need.

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

I would say Java console is good comparted to the window one. Windows one is look friendly but adminstration on it seems very casual and somtimes it does not refreshes. Java console refresh on intervals but most of the time I have observed on windows console we have to manually refresh to check the latest activity monitor status. Java console will never crash but windows console may.

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

It is definalty preference.  For me, it would be the remote admin conosle.