Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU setup merging Media Server

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Dear All,

i have two questions:

1) First Scenario, A current Netbackup environment is running, SUN V890 NBU Master/Media/EMM Server Installed on same machine, and customer wants to add a media server in it.

Can a Media Server be added to a running NBU Setup.? if yes, how. and if No, why ?  Any license req ?

2) Second Scenario, Netbackup installed on SUN machine V890, and the /30 GB mount point is taken from SAN on which NBU Master server is installed.
now if we want to move the SUN V890, where we have a shortage of SAN Switch, and the only option left is to put NBU /usr/openv/ on V890 local disk.

Can we just copy the /usr/openv from SAN mount point and throw it on local disk? and then delete from SAN mount point?

will this work? 

your immediate response will be awaited.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please read the document that explains support for NetBackup in a virtual environment. NetBackup as a media server is only supported when backup device is disk storage.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/312604.pdf

About adding a new media server -  please have a look at this forum discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-652-how-create-new-media-server-hpux-1131-itanium-and-add-existing-master-server-hp

and this URL: http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/How_do_I_add_a_Media_Server_to_an_existing_NetBackup_environment%3F

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
1) Yes you can add on new media servers - yes a license is required.
install on the new server the NB server software.
Tell the new server who its master is
Tell the master the new server is a media server (add it to the meida server list in the master properties)
Get your storage setup on the media server and do all the config.
See the manuals on how to setup a media server for details.

2) if you are careful yes you can - I just did the opposite.  I had nb installed on a local disk that got too small.
added a san drive
took down nb
made a new file system on the san disk (unix) of /openv
move the contents of /opt/openv to /openv
unmounted /openv and changed mount point to /opt/openv
mounted it
brought NB back up.

you can move it any where you want, just make sure that it still MOUNTS to the same point it is now.

Does anybody else have any other suggestions for this?

(I would have given you some links to docs but the tech site seems to be down)

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Wow Mister,

the thing what i want in 1st scenario, u did not got that exactly.

The NBU Master is there , all the configurations have been made to it.  Now, we donot have to setup a new Master Server. what we want, is to merger a media Server with the existing NBU Master Server. Can it be done?

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Dear Hinch,

kindly will you please elaborate this thing.

i have one NBU Master Server 6.5.5 running in SUN X4100 under ESX 3.5. that master server is NBU MASTER/MEDIA/EMM.

now i want to add another media server to the existing Master Server.

i will create another node on ESX and install Solaris OS , and install NBU Master Software. i will update you how far i reach.

will this scenario run , if i want to add a Media Server to the existing Server.

your prompt response will be appreciated.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please read the document that explains support for NetBackup in a virtual environment. NetBackup as a media server is only supported when backup device is disk storage.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/312604.pdf

About adding a new media server -  please have a look at this forum discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-652-how-create-new-media-server-hpux-1131-itanium-and-add-existing-master-server-hp

and this URL: http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/How_do_I_add_a_Media_Server_to_an_existing_NetBackup_environment%3F