cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU won't use media / Media expired & Assigned / Unable to relabel/delete

Tahoe
Level 3
NetBackup Media Server 5.1 MP6 - PowerVault 132T LTO1

I have four tapes in my library with a "Time Assigned" of Nov 2004. These tapes are
1. Expired
2. Not write protected

As far as I can tell, they contain no data.

I try to expire the tapes (bpexpdate -m %label% -d 0) - but receive    Requested media ID was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database.

I relabel the tapes, but it has no effect on the Time Assigned.  How can I completely remove these tapes from the volume database/catalog ?
9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6
Check to see if the tape is frozen

Tahoe
Level 3
I knew I was forgetting to mention something in my original post. I did check and none are Frozen - on any media server.

Bill_Liston
Level 4
If the tapes were used for the Catalog backup you'd need to Deassign them before you expire them.
Bill

Stumpr2
Level 6

Tahoe wrote:
I knew I was forgetting to mention something in my original post.

We do seem to jump on the obvious Smiley Happy

Tahoe
Level 3
Obvious is fine with me! :)

They show up in the Backups pool, not the NetBackup (catalog) pool.  Anyway, how do I de-assign media?  The only way I have figured out how to do it is to expire and relabel.

CY
Level 6
Certified
Run vmquery  -deassignbyid <media_ID>  <volume_pool_number>  <status>   from your NBU master server.

such as:

vmquery -deassignbyid ABC123 3 0

where 3 is the Volume Pool number and status 0 is for regular backups (volume with status 1 would be used for NetBackup Catalog backup.)

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Error message tells me that you are on pre 6.0 install. Was there any media server involved in your install which doesn't exist anymore? Check your bpmedialist o/p to confirm which media server these media tapes belong to.

Tahoe
Level 3
Rakesh .. that's a good idea. Will check and let you know.   Smiley Happy  I really appreciate these ideas; NBU can be very elusive sometimes and it is nice to have this kind of assistance.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
you can try this either