Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP 3-way restore

antonello
Level 4

Hi 

I'm restoring from tape via NDMP .

Is there a way to choose which tape drive to use for a NDMP three way restore? 

I've some tape drive non able to reach the destination Netapp filer via NDMP, 

and i'd like to use those which are able to reach it instead.

Thanks

Antonello

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you do a restore the server responsible for performing the backup would be chosen to do the restore as well. This is known for your regular restores, so I assume it would work the same in NDMP, as the NDMP host did the backup.

Did you try it and it didn't work? or some other server took over the restore?

antonello
Level 4

Hi Riaan 

That was a NDMP backup made by a Netapp now dismissed,

NetBackup chose randomly an NDMP server with its tape drive to load the tape containing backup images,

from a pool of NDMP Netapp devices i configured in the past.

It didn't try to choose the same NDMP server that performed the backup, apparently,

the problem is that some Netapp's cannot comunicate via NDMP with the target restore Netapp,

so i'm trying to make the restore using only certain Netapp to mount the related tape.

A

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Ok, understand. Sorry for the late reply.

Can you verify one thing please. The media ID you're trying to restore from, to which host is it assigned. You can check under which host its listed in the output of a bpmedialist command. Then you might be able to use the force_restore_media_server setting to restore from certain host. Not sure though, don't have ndmp to test with here.

antonello
Level 4

Hi Riaan 

Thanks for the advices, i'll check if  restore options you mentioned are useful for NDMP restore as soon as possible .