cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Configuration

Kevin_O_Connor
Level 4

Hi,

I want to make use of NDMP when duplicating images out from our VTL to the ATL primarily.

I’ve done my reading and looked at the theory but haven’t implemented it yet because the ATL we’re using is already configured and in use as a standard ATL (with SSO), meaning we’d have to remove the TLD and then set it up as NDMP. I know it shouldn’t take long but we’ve had a bit of a back log after issues with the VTL and ATL so now we’re up to date and feeling a lot more comfortable we’re in a better position to test this.

As it stands we have five Quantum DXi’s (7500 & 8500) and one Quantum Scalar i6K for the duplication.

Our master and media servers are all on 7.0.1 (Windows 2003 Ent SP2 ).

Now, I’ve set up access on the DXi’s, configured the credentials and tested using tpautoconf –probe and –verify and everything looks good but my question is this and I admit I could be confusing myself but..

When setting up the robot, the device path is the same across the board for the ATL (/dev/alias/mc/QUANTUM263105057_LL0)  but when it comes to the NDMP host name what should be used ?

We have 5 DXi’s so which do we use, does it matter or does it have to be configured differently ?

Thanks

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5

randyNDMP
Level 2

I have a question you may be able to help me with.  I am setting you NDMP from a EMC Celerra to Scalar i6000.  The tpautoconf command shows the tape drives, but is not showing a robot.  What am I missing in the configuration the will enable the discovery of the robot or should a robot be shown in the output of the tpautoconf?

randyNDMP
Level 2

Trying to set up NDMP configuration, EMC Celerra to two LTO4 drives on a Quantum Scalar i6000.  When I run the tpautoconf -probe celerra_host, it returns the tape drives but not a robot device.  What step have i missed?

Kevin_O_Connor
Level 4

I've never configured a Celerra for NDMP but the theory's the same, I'd check the zoning for the Celerra to the i6K, make sure the changer can be seen on the switch, reset the port the changer is on at the switch level just in case.

Can you give me the output of the tpautoconf command ?

I assume you have the NDMP Hosts listed correctly under "Credentials" otherwise you wouldn't see even the drives.

After that I'd say it's down to the Celerra and it's configuration.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

You can configure the drives in your filers with no problem, your RCH will take care of the robot as any other SSO configuration on NBU 6.5 it is posible to have NDMP drives under SSO configs, so just add the drives in one of your medias to see the drives in the filers so you get an Remote-NDMP configuration and when you use those drive the RCH will mount the tapes as any other.

Hope this helps 

Regards.

Harpreet_Singh1
Level 3

Hi,

I am looking if we can set up NDMP with Multiple Servers.

In my setup we have one master server (Sun Solaris) and six media servers (Sun Solaris).

Is it possible  we can configure the same filer (netapps storage)  with multiple media servers?  If yes, please advise how I can achieve this.

In this case I will not over load my media servers.

I could not find much on this.

Advance thanks for your valuable time J

With Regards.

Harpreet