Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info for new setup

sagar666
Level 5

Hi,

I got some idea on netbackup so i am planning start one new setup

1.I have Vcenter server it has Two datacenters say US and UK,US has 500VMs and UK has 500VMs size arround 25TB total

2.I have IBM Ultrium 20 disks and each disk capacity having 1TB

3.I want full back every week and increment backup 1 day and retination period 1 month i need

Question a

Is My 20 TB Disk size is sufficient if i go compression type backup?which compression type i want to go?if not possible tell me how many disks i need add?

Question b

which media type i have to select

Question c

I am planning to configure US data center for automatically selection query and UK data center for manual selection. Is it possible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have posted 6 new discussions in the couple of days since you joined this forum.  All of these posts remain unresolved - waiting for you to provide feedback.

Please get into a habit of responding to attempts to help you, and then mark Solution when your query is answered.

About information needed to design a backup solution for a large environment - this is not a job for a person who does not have in-depth knowledge of Enterprise software such as NetBackup.

Please speak to your local Symantec reseller to find out if they provide consulting services to design and implement a backup solution.

If your reseller cannot help, please talk to the Symantec office in your country - they will be able to put you in contact with knowlegeable consultants.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ultrium is one sort of Linear Tape Open(LTO) standard, so I suppose your backup destination is tape - not disk. Right?

Answer a.

Conpression ratio depends on characteristics of data. 1:2 is often used to estimate tape capacity for text data, but for other type of data it is not applicable. If you hane no reference of same or similar data, you should be conservative. Adopt 1:1 ratio.

20TB destination is too small for 25TB data. In 1:1 ratio, you need at least 125TB destination capacity for weekly full backups. Need additional capacity for incrementals.

Answer b.

Drive type is automatically  set by Device Configuration Wizard. Use same type for media type.

Answer c.

It is possible. Just make a query that does not include VMs in UK datacenter.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello 

A. The amount of space will depend on what data your compressing. since you have 25TB OF VM's, 20 TB of tapes may not be enough if your compression is bad and your taking incremental backups. As far as how much more space you will need, that will be best determined by looking at space used as you add and backup VM's. 

B. When you import the tapes, NetBackup will assign a media type to the tape. You will want to make sure its the same media type as your drives.

C. When setting up your VMware policies, you can do a manual selection of VM's or query for your VM's. So yes that is possible. 

sagar666
Level 5

Hi ,

Thanks for info.In above i mentioned 25TB is my max data.I want to full back up in 1 week and Incremental backup in 1 day and 1 month rentinetion. How to caluculate required size.Its very use useful for further analysis.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Sagar666,

Below is a link to help you design your NetBackup Environment. It indicates formula that can help you.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO56078#id-SF0S0184969

Marianne
Level 6

IBM Ultrium 20 disks  ????

Did you mean tape? Please don't get confused between disk and tape...

Please read carefully through Yasuhisa's post. He has answered all your queries.

About compression - you don't have to do anything. Compression is by default enabled on tape drives.

Excellent link in above post about Designing your backup system. Please read through it carefully...

sagar666
Level 5

It is a tape i confused. Thanks guys really great information....I am building new setup with your support even i does't have veritas netbackup knowledge .

Marianne
Level 6

You have posted 6 new discussions in the couple of days since you joined this forum.  All of these posts remain unresolved - waiting for you to provide feedback.

Please get into a habit of responding to attempts to help you, and then mark Solution when your query is answered.

About information needed to design a backup solution for a large environment - this is not a job for a person who does not have in-depth knowledge of Enterprise software such as NetBackup.

Please speak to your local Symantec reseller to find out if they provide consulting services to design and implement a backup solution.

If your reseller cannot help, please talk to the Symantec office in your country - they will be able to put you in contact with knowlegeable consultants.