cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to make a client to a Master (getting decommissioned)

maverick3784
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a typical scenario in which I need to make a client to a Master (which isgetting decommissioned)

Client- C; Master - M

M is getting decommissioned shortly, we have C, which is a SAN media server. Our requirement, need to make the C as the Master.

Challenges we are facing - should not have any operational problems, if we make C a master server, will lose the catalog information

Need any sort of help. 

Contacted Symatec, but they advised to contact Consulting support (which is chargeable - client is uninterested)

My plan - 

1.       We shall identify the tapes that is having data and notify the tape operations to eject those tapes and be kept onsite, until retention. Leave all the Scratch media as they were earlier.

2.       We will configure the C as a master server as it is. Everything will be reconfigured, the robot/drives/policies. Barcode-rules will be set as they were before.

3.       The M will be used for restores until the data gets expired on the tapes [We need to hold this decommission, at least until the data gets expired on the tapes]

Any help is highly appreciated.!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, C will have to become M. Catalog recovery will restore all images, tape info, policies, etc.

I have a slight concern making C the master: it has been a San media server up to now. We normally turn clients with lots of data (database or file server) into San media servers to prevent large amounts of data backed up over the network.
Why was C made a media server in this environment?

It is recommended to have a dedicated master server and not use a database, application or file server as master.

If you still want to make C the master, uninstall current media server software and reinstall as master.

Your idea about ejecting assigned tapes from the robot is good. Run a Tape List report on M and save the output. This way you know when tapes can be recycled. Instead of keeping M around for restores, you can do one of two things:

Add the tapes that were ejected from the robot to a separate pool that will never be used for backups (e.g. RESTORE). Start to import these tapes during the day when no other backups are running. Tapes will be available for restore on C and will naturally expire.

Use the 'Recovery without Import' method:
Add data tapes to separate pool (e.g. RESTORE) and simply copy the images from M to C. Add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry so that C will do restores for backups made by M.
The tapes will show as unassigned, but because they are in Non-backup pool, they will not be considered for backups.

You can also write protect these tapes to really ensure that they will not be used for backups until all images have expired (as per the saved Tape List report).

See this O-L-D but still valid Recovery without Import method:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs_103003.pdf

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the cliet is the same 'type' of os as the current master, eg, both are windows, or both are unix, then you can just reinstall NBU master on the 'client' usig the same hostname / install path as the current master and then run a Catalog recovery.

If the cuurent master and the client are different operating system types, eg, one ins windows, and the ther Unix, then ye, this is a consulting task to move the catalog across, it is not something that can be performed by technical support as they do not have the required 'tools' (scripts) to do this task.

Martin

maverick3784
Level 3

thanks mph for the reply, 

my doubt is, if we reinstall the NBU, and have the tapes in the library, wouldnt they be read as the Scratch and also, the old catalog will have the Master server as the M(decomm server). But I want to make C as the new Master, When I run the catalog recovery, wouldnt it be expecting the master to be the old Master server?

watsons
Level 6

Making your C to be M involves a rename of the host and as a result, master server, which cannot be done unless you get Consulting.

If that is not an option at all, I suggest getting a new machine to be the new master server, recover the catalog on it and if necessary, port data in C to this new master then decom. your C.

Marianne
Level 6

Yes, C will have to become M. Catalog recovery will restore all images, tape info, policies, etc.

I have a slight concern making C the master: it has been a San media server up to now. We normally turn clients with lots of data (database or file server) into San media servers to prevent large amounts of data backed up over the network.
Why was C made a media server in this environment?

It is recommended to have a dedicated master server and not use a database, application or file server as master.

If you still want to make C the master, uninstall current media server software and reinstall as master.

Your idea about ejecting assigned tapes from the robot is good. Run a Tape List report on M and save the output. This way you know when tapes can be recycled. Instead of keeping M around for restores, you can do one of two things:

Add the tapes that were ejected from the robot to a separate pool that will never be used for backups (e.g. RESTORE). Start to import these tapes during the day when no other backups are running. Tapes will be available for restore on C and will naturally expire.

Use the 'Recovery without Import' method:
Add data tapes to separate pool (e.g. RESTORE) and simply copy the images from M to C. Add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry so that C will do restores for backups made by M.
The tapes will show as unassigned, but because they are in Non-backup pool, they will not be considered for backups.

You can also write protect these tapes to really ensure that they will not be used for backups until all images have expired (as per the saved Tape List report).

See this O-L-D but still valid Recovery without Import method:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs_103003.pdf

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Bear in mind that if C is to be your new Master and it is on a remote site to the clients being backed up that the Media Servers on the main site will have to write their catalog data across the link to the "new" Master.

If the link is not great this could have a real impact on your backups as a backup can only run as fast as the Media server can write the catalog information back to the Master

Hope this helps

maverick3784
Level 3

Thanks for the replies peeps.

First thing, C is remotely located (ideally this could have been made a master long back just coz it is a small remote site, for easier management, this was made as a client, eventually a SAN media server)

It is a file and print server, though we havent had received much restores till date (fingers crossed smiley).. hardly 2 i believe in the last 6 months.

earlier M and C were belonged to one customer, but they are split now, so M is going for a decomm, now C has to become the Master.

Can the C act as a media server for M, simultaneously? If so, we can have the M to be kept for restores?

I can't use this option FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER as our environment is Windows.

I think we can consider the import options as an alternative as the customer is in a hurry to decommission M, asap.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH guys! 

Maria, the link shared is really brillaint, much thanks for that, and I will update on this once implemented. (In two days)

maverick3784
Level 3

Mark, 

C is the only client that is going to be backed up, hence the arrangement seem to be simple. However, Can the C (which is the new Master) act as a media server for M, simultaneously? If so, we can have the M to be kept for restores? 

Are you suggesting this could impact the backup speed?

thanks 

Marianne
Level 6

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER on Windows server is done as follows:

Host Properties -> Master Server -> General Server properties -> Media host override.

This will add a FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry in the master's registry.

Marianne
Level 6

About this question:

'Can the C act as a media server for M, simultaneously?'

The answer is no.

C  will have Master server entry and EMM server entry for itself.
It cannot have a 'secondary master' or 'secondary EMM server'.

maverick3784
Level 3

Maria, here, suppose I want to do restores, I want to keep M (until the images expire), so I wont disconnect the network 

There will be communication between M and C and also C as a Standalone Master server. My point, there would be two EMM servers, one is in M and the other in C. So, when we insert the tapes into the library (apparently the only one), the EMM on M would be able to recognize them and the EMM on C wouldn't. 

since a master can act as a media server, I want to keep this C (which is a master) as a media server in M until the images expire. my reason being, if a media is inserted in the library, C's EMM wouldnt recognize them (until imported), but M would. Can you please let me know, if my understanding is correct or not.

Also, do I need to decommission the C (which is a SAN media server)? I was thinking if we can ignore this.

Marianne
Level 6

Master server C will only know it's own EMM database for devices and media. It will not be able to communicate with M EMM database to request tape mount. It cannot communicate with its own EMM database for device info and with another EMM for media.
It will also not be able to communicate with M for image info.

The 'Recovery without Import' methods seems to be the method that will get you going on Master C in the shortest time possible.

maverick3784
Level 3

okie.. I got it.. 

Can you tell me about the recovery wituot import.. I got till moving the DB from the M to C.

Marianne
Level 6

Not sure what else to say - I thought that I've explained it here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-make-client-master-getting-decommissioned#comment-6469191 under:
"Use the 'Recovery without Import' method:"
The only difference on Windows master is to do the FORCE_RESTORE...  entry in Host Properties -> Master Server -> General Server properties -> Media host override.

The pdf consist of 3 pages that should contain all the details....

There is a newer doc with LOTS more info and detail for different scenarios: http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_NBU_01_08_13599373.pdf

maverick3784
Level 3

Thanks Maria, I have already taken up the same suggestions you have given.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Implementing Highly Available Data Protection with Veritas NetBackup

Alex Davies | January 2008

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_availab...