cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to restore all data from a specific tape

nitz8nitz8
Not applicable
Hi Guys.. I am not good in netbackup. I have a job to do. Please help me.
We have done a backup to a tape and now this tape will go to our different data center. After that i will need to do a restore of all the data from this tape. My collegue will insert the tape in the tape library and after that how to i start doing a restore FROM THAT SPECIFIC tape. I went to Backup,Archive and Restore but there is no option to insert the tape id.

Regards,
Nitin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
The tape is going to a different data center and that means that the Netbackup catalog at the different data center has no information concerning what may be on that tape. You need to import that information from the tape in order to populate the Netbakup catalog at the different data center. There are two steps to import the tape. the first run will gather information of all of the image that are on the tape. the second run will actually place the information concerning the tape into the catalog. Once both runs of the import are done then you can restore from that tape. You can get more information from the admin guide concerniong "import" that is run by the GUI. or you can get more information from the command bpimport that is run from the command line.

Step by step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278948.htm

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
The tape is going to a different data center and that means that the Netbackup catalog at the different data center has no information concerning what may be on that tape. You need to import that information from the tape in order to populate the Netbakup catalog at the different data center. There are two steps to import the tape. the first run will gather information of all of the image that are on the tape. the second run will actually place the information concerning the tape into the catalog. Once both runs of the import are done then you can restore from that tape. You can get more information from the admin guide concerniong "import" that is run by the GUI. or you can get more information from the command bpimport that is run from the command line.

Step by step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278948.htm

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Get a copy of catalog Information and paste it your DR Server and re try the restore as normal, there is a setting you need to change in master host properties under General Server->Media Host Override.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Both methods as suggested by Bob and Karthikeyan will work - only problem is that Karthikeyan does not even attempt to give sufficient info to a user that confesses to be new to NetBackup.
The method suggested by Karthikeyan is explained in the White Paper called Recovery without Import.
Using this method, you need network connectivity between the 2 master servers.
On the 1st master, you will have to be able to identify the images that you want to copy. If it's a backup for a particular client on a particular date, copy the .../netbackup/db/images/client/10...... folder to the 2nd master. If it's more than one client, you will also need to find the other client images.  You also have to ensure that the tapes are write protected and added to a pool on 2nd master that will never be used for backups.
For an experienced user, method 2 is the quickest and easiest. For an inexperienced user, I'll recommend the 1st suggestion (to import).