cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your help - a rather unusual duplication process?

Michael_Taburad
Level 3
Guys, I am new to this thread and I would be appreciative on any input I can get.

What we are trying to do is move a number of media/tape to another media server (02) and do the duplication there. The understanding here was that we need to lessen the impact of used resources on one of our media server (01).

When we run the duplication, it asked for the tape on the original media server (01) and since it is not there, it will just wait for it. We did add the new media on the General Servers option on the master server as the alternate restore point. But I think that does not work with duplication.

I hope I have explained it here properly. I do hope for your reply.

Thank you.

Michael
10 REPLIES 10

Michael_Taburad
Level 3
Let me add another analogy for this situation...

How would you do duplication on an image done from a media server that has been - say - retired or decommissioned, without even doing an import of the images?

Also, I was thinking of the Media Host Override in regards to the alternate restore point.

Thanks.

Michael

DavidParker
Level 6
Michael,
What OS's are in play in your setup? Master OS? Media OS?
Also, what version of NetBackup are you using? MP level?

Thanks,
DP

Stumpr2
Level 6
If UNIX master, place this in the bp.conf
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldserver newserver

You can also do this through the GUI for window masterMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Michael_Taburad
Level 3
Sorry to have left out that important information:

* Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP1 (both master and media servers)
* Netbackup Enterprise 6.0 MP3

Thanks.

Michael

Michael_Taburad
Level 3
Hi!

I thought that is just for restoring. But I also thought that duplication is a bit form of a restore. But I know that we had that setup on our Master server and it did not go through. It was waiting for a media.

Thanks.

Michael

DavidParker
Level 6
> If UNIX master, place this in the bp.conf
> FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldserver newserver
>

Hey Bob, can you have multiple of these lines in bp.conf? Say, if you have more than 1 media server you want to force to restore somewhere else?

Stumpr2
Level 6
yes, but you must stop/start netbackup after adding them to fhe bp.conf file.

Netbackup by default will have the media server that did the backup also honor all requests for restores. This tells netbackup to use a different server to do the restore.

DavidParker
Level 6
Sweet, yeah that's what I figured it would do.
Might actually be able to use that in conjunction with 'migrating' a catalog to another master server.

(doing some fiddling with things today)

Doctorski
Level 5
Michael,
Why not use the -altreadhost switch. We use this very successfully in our duplications and this doesnt affect any restores you may need to do.

- Darren

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
> Why not use the -altreadhost switch.

Hi Michael,

Darren is right. You're doing a duplication on different media server, not restore (force restore won't work).
E.g.
bpduplicate -id -dstunit -altreadhost .....

If you're using Admin Console GUI for duplication, I don't you can do it within the Catalog GUI, but if you're using Vault GUI, select the alternate read server option within the duplicate tab.