cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net backup schedule trick

Vamsi1
Level 5

I got a request to configure weekly backup and monthly backups for one client.

Where Weekly should be - Every Saturday 6:00PM  & Monthly last Saturday of the month 6:00PM. And the Weekly backup shouldnt run on last saturday as monthly schedule.

So I created

For Weekly

New Scheulde --> Calender  --> Calender Schedule --> Recurring Week Days & selected 1st,2nd & 3rd Saturday.

For Monthly

New Scheulde --> Calender  --> Calender Schedule --> Recurring Week Days & selected Last Saturday.

Here the problem is some month has 5 saturdays, In that month if I schedule like above 4th Saturday Backup is missing. Considering that point and if I add 4th Saturday in weekly schedule for the month which as 4 saturday's on the 4th saturday both Weekly and monthly is running. How to over come from this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Just add the 4th week to the weekly schedule.  Then, NetBackup will run the monthly full schedule in a 4 week month, as it knows that this backup has not run for the longest period.  It will work :)   Just make sure that the 'run window' on each schedule covers the same time period.

FYI - Whilst your question is related to calendar based scheduling, if you did want to know more about frequency based scheduling, see Marianne's article here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

...which also links to a copy, which Marianne also prepared, of an article by Dave Chappa.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Just add the 4th week to the weekly schedule.  Then, NetBackup will run the monthly full schedule in a 4 week month, as it knows that this backup has not run for the longest period.  It will work :)   Just make sure that the 'run window' on each schedule covers the same time period.

FYI - Whilst your question is related to calendar based scheduling, if you did want to know more about frequency based scheduling, see Marianne's article here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

...which also links to a copy, which Marianne also prepared, of an article by Dave Chappa.

Vamsi1
Level 5

Cool.. That looks it will be useful.

Read the below and tell me what happens.

1) Daily schedule with frequency option  as 1 day at 8:00PM

2) Weekly Schedule created with calendar option  at Every Friday 8:00PM.

So what happens to the daily job on Friday ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

On Fri, the wekely schedule should run, as this will have not run for the longest time, whereas the daily has run every previous day.

Vamsi1
Level 5

I got my answer from the Marianne prepared, of an article by Dave Chappa.

That was really awesome explanation and am clear now.