cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5.1, VMware VCB 1.1 and ESX 3.5 - status code 71 using FullVM

Frank_Cavadi
Level 4

We upgraded from NetBackup v5.1 MP5 to v6.5.1 on a Solaris server.  Under 5.1, we had NetBackup Windows Server (as a kludge although it runs as client) installed on a VCB server.  In addition,

we have a SERVER = <vcbserver> in NetBackup Master server (solaris) bp.conf file.

This allowed us to crated backup policies with windows VCB server as client along with

virtual server(s) listed in file slection list  in this format:

E:\mnt\<virtualserver>-FullVM

This worked fine under v5.1.  After upgrading master server to 6.5.1 and leaving VCB server NetBackup

client at v5.1 MP5, I was getting error staus codes of 58 & 25. Symantec had me upgrade client

to v6.5.  But, now I get error status 71. (no files in files list found)

Do I have to upgrade VMware's integration module?  Could the client v6.5 install have

stripped out CR/LF's from VMware's config.js; I seem to remeber that this occurs when

installing v5.1 client.

Lastly, we do not own the new NetBackup v6.5 Snaoshot client.  Alos, noted after upgrade to v6.5.1,

FlashBackup-Windows policy type (which we do not use, but was in pull-down on v5.1) is no longer

show as v6.5 pull down option.

7 REPLIES 7

Dion
Level 6
Certified

Hi

Did you upgrade all of your licence keys after doing the upgrade?  If not you need to use Symantec's licensing Portal to convert all you licences to 6.5.  This could explain why that FlashBackup-windows is not showing (this IS required to setup VCB backups on 6.5.1)

In version 6.5, the Snapshot client is part of the Enterprise Client license - this shouldn't be requirement for functionality but is required for compliance.

Another suggestion is to at least upgrade to 6.5.1A.  Although there are a couple of things not working for VCB in this version (for most people) e.g. A file-level restore from a FULL-mapped (option 2) backup doesn't seem to work.

6.5.2 seems to work fine and has the ability to do incremental VCB backup via the snapshot although there are still too many people who have issues with this version at the moment so I would suggest waiting for updates to this update.  I have only upgraded my test environment.

Cheers

Frank_Cavadi
Level 4

I simply loaded my "tradfitional-style" NetBackup licenses from v5.1 MP5 to v6.5.1; I think I loaded all of them.

I did not see a downloaddable NteBackup v6.5.1a for Solaris.  I did see it for a windows server.

When I tried install the Snapshot client (it's an add-on), it asks for a license key.  Are

you indicating that I could give it my license key for Enterprise NetBackup server (i.e. Base NetBackup)?

Dion
Level 6
Certified

The Enterprise Client license is a separate license key from the Enterprise Server license.  For the VCB policy, you are going to need to use the FlashBackup-windows feature so you will need to get this to show up as an option.  The only time I had features not showing was when there was a licensing issue which disable the feature (on Windows, pretty much everything installs by default and some options are only enabled after entering the license for that option).

I am however working on Windows though (wasn't sure whether there was a 6.5.1A for Solaris or not)

Frank_Cavadi
Level 4

I don't seem to have an 'enterprise client' license; just normal client licenses which are rjected by snapshot client install license key prompt.

Will the kliudgey way of backing up virtual VMware clients (used in v5.1 as I mentioned in original post) work under v6.5.1?  although I couldn't get the FullVm method to work, I seemingly was able to

replace this with <drive ltetter>:\mnt\<virtualserver>\letter and it appears to backup successfully.

I'm hoping that VMware VCB config.js file just needs to be rebuilt as I'be seen this to generate errors

like staus code 71 under NetBackup v5.1

Dion
Level 6
Certified

With 6.5.1, you won't need to do any custom scripting as you did in older version - all backup functionality has now been built into NetBackup.  Take a look for Symantec's doco 293350 (How to configure and use NetBackup 6.5.1 for VMware).

Besides a couple of other settings, the policy needs to be set up as a FlashBackup-windows policy and then you will need to configure each VM from within the snapshot settings section of the policy to get things going.

Not sure what you will need to deconfigure/reconfigure from 5.1 (I was lucky enough to hold out until installing 6.5)

Ed_Wynn
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Frank, did you get the policy configured correctly? 

Main difference between NBU5.1 and NBU6.5.1A ( the A version is for Windows only) is that in NBU5.1, you have to run a VMware script to dump the guest hosts to the mount point and then NBU would backup those files as flat files.

In NBU6.5.1 that is all built in to the application so the data dump and backups are integrated.  You can actually restore individual files as well from the guest host if you specify Type 2.  The restore would be just like normal clients for each guest host instead of referencing the VCB machine.

Also, it is required that you have the NetBackup Proxy ( Netbackup name for a machine with VCB installed) running Windows2003 32-bit.  The documentation mentioned by Dion would cover most of this information. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this same status code, and the response direct from Symantec was I required a Enterprise Client License TIER 3.

I had a TIER 2 license, unfortunately this wouldn't cut it - TIER 3 I'm afraid. Bit more expensive, but I would get this confirmed personally.

You could ask your license reseller or Symantec for a FULL unrestricted 60 day license to test/trial out your scenario, before committing if this is the path you are going down.