Here is the link to 6.5.4 release announcement:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318005.htm

CHONG_WU
Level 5
Support windows 7 or not?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yeah, not yet. Windows 7 is not yet released.

Backup_Guy1
Level 3
Has anyone upgraded from 6.5.3 to 6.5.4 any issues encountered

Stumpr2
Level 6
I always try to wait three months before implementing a new version level. This one seems to have a lot of new items in it which may be good for additional server coverage but potentially bad for servers already being successfully backed up. During the three months I monitor forums to get a feel of the communities and their discoveries.I know that some sites have no choice but must upgrade due to business needs. I applaud you and await your feedback. :)

sql_noob
Level 4
i've backed up my Windows 7 laptop on 6.5.3, 32 and 64 bit versions. just add it as a Vista client. All it is Windows Vista SP 3

Backup_Guy1
Level 3
Thanks Stumpr for your advise

Is good to wait but I like the NOM updates can I upgrade the NOM 6.5.3 to 6.5.4 before upgrading the master server.

Michael_Conrad
Level 2
One of our team members upgraded his console to 6.5.4 while the server was still at 6.5.3.1.  We have three separate environments and had a rather critical issue occur this morning.  When he logged into one master server after logging into another, some jobs from the first environment appeared in the second as "Unknown".  Not realizing they were actually not part of the current system, we decided to cancel the jobs.

Later, after logging back into the first environment, we discovered that the cancelled jobs were actually Lotus Notes backups that we had been running for approx. 16 hours already on a master server we weren't working on.  We switched between the 3 master servers repeatedly, and there were quite a few job spillovers that showed up between the environments.

We're upgrading our master servers now.  Be wary if you are performing a tiered upgrade between your master servers and administration consoles.

Dion
Level 6
Certified
I think if everyone decided to use the three month rule, we wouldn't have any feedback to work from so I commend the pioneers who risk all for the benefit of others!

Install away :)

CY
Level 6
Certified
Here is the tech note to answer your question - which versin of NOM can manage which version(s) of NBU master server?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295597.htm

"NOM 6.5 release updates also have backward compatibility with NetBackup 6.0 MP5 and above"   See the table in the tech note to show details.

So, YES you can upgrade NOM to 6.5.4 and use it to manage your NetBackup 6.5.3 master.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Business needs sometimes cause a person to be bold and upgrade the site as soon as possible. They really don't have an option. Others may upgrade in order to enjoy some of the new features even though it isn't critically necessary for them to upgrade. I feel sorry for those that must and I remember my youthful cry for adventure  when I think about the latter.:-)

Now I am a seasoned NetBackup admin who carefully waits out the three months if at all possible.
So my sincere condolences to those that must and my energetic tally ho to those that dare upgrade now.

Enjoy!

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Just install 6.5.4 in my lab and will monitor it for two weeks before going live.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Symantec has confirmed that the fix is in 6.5.4 but you have to take the workaround out.

DOCUMENTATION: Protecting Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) data with NetBackup 6.5.4

support.veritas.com/docs/326098

LetThereBeZeros
Level 3
I like the new report on your virtual clients.  Very key.  But I was hoping to fix the "partially online" and again FAIL.  I am monitoring 22 masters with it, most of which are 6.5, few 6.5.3, and have not yet pushed any masters to 6.5.4.

I plan on doing so at one of my small sites, then let it bake for a few weeks, then if time allows work on the rest of my servers.   I dont patch every level unless we have a business need for some new function in that current patch release.  

Good Luck

TimBurlowski
Employee Accredited
I agree the partially online issue is very frustrating. If you open a support case they can diagnose the issue. In some cases this is caused by a networking issue, in others it requires an engineering binary to be installed on the NetBackup server. The good news is that once we engage on this issue we should be able to solve it for you permanently. If you direct message me with your support case information perhaps I can help in some way.

Fran_ois3
Not applicable
Hello all,

Bad news, after upgrade from 6.5.2 to 6.5.4 last thursday we had to downgrade today due to a lot of errors number 50. After 20 minutes, all queued jobs are automatically stopped. We met also a problem of unexplianed nbjm daemon crash.
Has anyone occured the same problems ?

Regards, François.