cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5.6 Catalog Backup

coffee_drinker
Level 4

I have NetBackup 6.5.6 on windows 2008 r2 running with two seperate catalog backups.

I have a policy to run Catalog Backup daily at 9AM and the second job runs right after and grabs different tape; where does this second catalog backup job comes from?

There are two differences between those jobs:

Why do I need two catalog backup and if not needed, how can I turn it off?

I would like to have one catalog backup job run daily to tape and maybe secondary catalog backup written to local drive. Does this make any sense?

Please, let me know how should this be configure for best/easiest recovery process if needed.

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The Hot Catalog is the proper way of doing it these days and uses the CatalogBackup tapes

The other one is the old cold backup method - no longer used after V7

If you right click on the Catalog Section in the Admin Console you will have the option to Configure the catalog Backup.

This brings up  set of screens - just go to the last tab and select "only if manually initiated"

It is also worth removing the named tapes on the first tab as it saves a lot of work trying to do anything with then at a later date after you have upgraded to V7+

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The Hot Catalog is the proper way of doing it these days and uses the CatalogBackup tapes

The other one is the old cold backup method - no longer used after V7

If you right click on the Catalog Section in the Admin Console you will have the option to Configure the catalog Backup.

This brings up  set of screens - just go to the last tab and select "only if manually initiated"

It is also worth removing the named tapes on the first tab as it saves a lot of work trying to do anything with then at a later date after you have upgraded to V7+

Hope this helps

coffee_drinker
Level 4

Why having two backups, hot and cold? What is the advantage one over the other?

Here's what I have configured:

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The cold catalog backup is discountinued at ver 7.x so you have to go with the hot catalog eventually.

The hot catalog backup is exact;y that, backups up the db whilst it is running, the cold has to stop it.

FYI - a hot catalog backup creates x4 jobs, parent, staging of the EMM SQL DB, Backup of the EMM DB to tape (or disk) and then backup of the imagedatabase (+ other conf files).

Cold catalog tapes are a pain, you can only have two, and have to run 'special' commands to release them from being catalog tapes.   Hot caalog tapes do not have this problem.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, the policy to run Catalog Backup daily at 9AM  is your Hot Catalog backup.

As Mark suggested: Disable the Cold Catalog backup by selecting 'Only when manually initiated' in the Cold catalog schedule tab.

coffee_drinker
Level 4

Thanks guys again; I did disabled it and so far everything rocks.

Question: What about the location of the images? Is there any reason to have those images in two different locations? Can I just simply move/combine them or some re-configuration needs to be done before?

Here's what we have:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\db\images

D:\NetBackup\alternate_db\images

Thanks for all your great help.

Mark