cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup, ACSLS, and cleaning tapes: A love triangle

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I've checked the ACSLS admin guide, and I've searched around for some older threads that might point me in the right direction, but I couldnt seem to find anything.

Currently, we have ACSLS "supposedly" set up for automatic cleanings, but I dont believe it is doing the job as efficiently as NetBackup could.  We've got about 10 cleaning tapes in ACSLS, and I would like to get those to a point to where I can configure NetBackup to handle the cleaning.  What I can not find however, is how to get those cleaning tapes to a point to where I can inventory them into the library within NBU.  I have several scratch pools set up within ACSLS, and I know the "set scratch ..." command lets me move volumes between the scratch pools in ACSLS.  How can I get those cleaning tapes into a pool that NBU will see when I do an inventory.

Some background - we have 2 master servers, and each one is configured to see a different pool.  Say pool 8 is for Master1 and pool 9 is for master2.  If I need to add tapes to master2's library, I just "set scratch 9 <volume-range>

So what would happen if I said "set scratch 9 CLN001"

Would ACSLS attempt to read CLN001 as a scratch tape in volume pool 9?  Or would it remain a cleaning tape, then all I would need to do is just run an inventory on master2?

I've familiar with setting up cleaning on the master server, I just need to figure out how to get the tapes into the library through ACSLS.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Netbackup can't control cleaning using ACSLS as Netbackup does with TLD connected robots. So even if you succeed in separating access to cleaning tapes, it won't do you any good (Sorry -  I am just the mailman).   We have written a script that runs on the ACSLS server and mount a clean tape once every month.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
set up a barcode rule for the cleaning tapes - in there you will find that you designate them as cleaning tapes.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

My question revolves around getting the tapes within ACSLS to a point to where the master server will see them when I do an inventory.  Right now, the cleaning tapes are in an ACSLS pool that neither master server can see.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Netbackup can't control cleaning using ACSLS as Netbackup does with TLD connected robots. So even if you succeed in separating access to cleaning tapes, it won't do you any good (Sorry -  I am just the mailman).   We have written a script that runs on the ACSLS server and mount a clean tape once every month.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Thanks for the update.  I'll see if I can script something up.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Sorry - more of want you don't want to hear:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267306.htm
2.3 ACSLS TAPE CLEANING
ACS robot types are self cleaning. Tape cleaning should not be initiated by NetBackup. If a TapeAlert-based cleaning flag is set by LTID or avrd for an ACS, TLH, or an LMF drive, the vmd/DA will not release the drives.

To disable TapeAlert checking and eliminate "TapeAlert is not supported" messages in the syslog, add the NO_TAPEALERT touch file.
For UNIX:
/usr/openv/volmgr/database/NO_TAPEALERT
For Windows:
<install path>\volmgr\database\NO_TAPEALERT

The StorageTek library transport control unit tracks how much tape passes through each transport and sends a message to ACSLS when a transport requires cleaning. If auto-cleaning is enabled, ACSLS automatically mounts a cleaning cartridge on the transport. If all the cleaning cartridges have expired (MAX_USAGE), ACSLS will post an error message 376N into the acsss_event log. If auto-cleaning is disabled, ACSLS logs a message in the event log and displays a message at the cmd_proc when cleaning is required.

This option is enabled or disabled using the acsss_config configuration utility. This utility will allow you to specify how the cartridges are ordered for selection and queries.

NOTE: You cannot use the acsss_config configuration program to enable auto-cleaning for drives attached to a SCSI connected library storage module (LSM).

For more information regarding ACSLS tape cleaning, please contact StorageTek.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I'll give the nod to Nic since was the first responder/purveyor of bad news

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The self cleaning work for STK Timberline (36track 3390E type drive) STK9840 and  STK9940 but not for LTO tape drives. They missed that out in the tech note.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

in the ideas section to have NBU provide cleaning functionality with ACSLS.

Probably much easier said than done

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Even without ACSLS the best practice is to let your library take ownership of the drive cleaning.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
But how would you set up, say, an SL500?  Would you do that through SL Console?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
The SL500 can be a TLD controlled robot, and then Netbackup can manage it. If you however let ACSLS control it, you are back to scratch :(