cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Admin Console GUI errors

walt_zschirnt
Level 3
Hi,

Running NetBackup 6.0MP5, SSO option, backing up NFS, EDIR, and NetApp boxes (NDMP). Quantum PX510 with 6 tape drives. Master and Media servers running Win Server 2003.

The GUI does not display info correctly. For instance, DEVICE MONITOR doesn't show the same info as what is displayed when "TPCONFIG -d" is run. Also, the ACTIVITY MONITOR doesn't show which drives are being used (yellow 'circles', etc). Basically, the info shown is not reliable.

Is there a fix for this? Ideas?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

ahlip
Level 5
Yes, the realtime updating may be slightly off.

But I would  be very concerned if "tpconfig -d" output is different from Device Monitor in terms of device name/device paths.

Use the command "vmoprcmd" as the most accurate realtime indicator of device and tape mounted status. The Activity Monitor graphics are additional keep-you-happy stuff.

regards,
Lipz

walt_zschirnt
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I am concerned, too.

The GUI is a most helpful tool for the 'new' user rather than trying to figure out the MANY commands ( and it keeps me happy). I also thought that the GUI displays were just executing those same commands and showing the results. I would think that after all the work to make the GUI work, it should work correctly.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem and had a resolution before I opened a call.

Thanks.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
We've had all sorts of quirks with the GUI console (on both Java and Windows):

For example:
The clients of cancelled jobs appearing in the topology window with a red-cross (as expected) and remaining even if the job is deleted from the job detail window.
Clients suddenly appearing in topology window even if no jobs actually running for them (once all my clients suddenly appeared like this & gave me a bit of a fright!Smiley Surprised)
Jobs showing as 84% complete even when they've finished.
Tapes 'disappearing' from media listings.
Options disappearing from drop-down lists.

All these issues are ephemeral and irregular & are 'cleared' (until next time!) when the Admin Console is restarted.

It keeps you interested if nothing else.Smiley Wink

Stumpr2
Level 6

walt zschirnt wrote:
 I would think that after all the work to make the GUI work, it should work correctly.

Thanks.

VERITAS had a Xmotif GUI in NB 3.4 that worked and they scrapped it so that they could concentrate on one interface with the intentions of being able to do a better job.

I sure miss the old Xmotif windows. The coolest thing was that you could turn on a feature that displayed the commans that it was using. Much better then the current method of tailing a java logfile.

walt_zschirnt
Level 3
When a Symantec tech is doing a Webex session, tries to use the GUI and it gives him junk info, he just says "well, I never use it anyway. I always use the command line.".

Is that REALLY the right answer/attitude??

Oh well. Anybody got an answer?

Thanks.

Stumpr2
Level 6

walt zschirnt wrote:
When a Symantec tech is doing a Webex session, tries to use the GUI and it gives him junk info, he just says "well, I never use it anyway. I always use the command line.".

Is that REALLY the right answer/attitude??

No it is not acceptable. What works for him does not necessarily work for customers. He should know both the GUI (customer's interface) as well as the CLI (advanced users) interface. Please do not hesitate to requeue your ticket to another tech. I always wait until the Australians come on line. They are the BEST!

Jim-m
Level 5
This could be one of those long threads

NBU 6.5.1
One (now deceased) insllation worked fine in the creation of STUs (storage units) by GUI
Second installation, same hardware as previously,   2x media, a robot on each - inital creation of STU  can only be done by command line.  The drop down lists have only one item  - 1x media server, 1x tape type (I think -from memeory).

The  check box for "must use bar code rules" is always checked. Unchecking is never preserved.

Not a GUI thing - but I am suspicious about bplabel as well - its not working correctly (more checks required).