cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Clustered Master in Solaris Local Zone (Container) ?

TreyT
Level 3

I'm not sure if this is even possible or support, but here's the question;

Is anyone running a clustered NetBackup master inside of Solaris Local Zones across 2 physical servers and using Storage Foundation HA (VxVM & VCS)?  Our UNIX team is driving virtualization and they want everyone to try and run in local containers so they can migrate people around different pieces of hardware if needed and also put more zones on a lightly used box, etc.

If this is possible, which zone controls the VCS resources and the VxVM disk groups, local or global?
1 REPLY 1

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Netbackup can work very well in a container or zoned environment where you can create projects to configure shared memory and better assign resources, but because is a huge application and normaly drives tons of data or processeing depending if is a media server or a master probably the most recommended way to do this is just to have one zone for the Netbackup application. Something I have see is a media server under a zone who backups the rest of the VM's under the same box, saving a lot of IP trafic and bottlenecking. Solaris Zones and Containers are realy so I will only configure a master server in a single server just for him self and for each box with multiple VM's with 1 media server to do the local VM's backups.

Hope this helps.
Regards.