Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media capacity in command line

challa_007
Level 3
Certified
Hi, Please help me on this.

How to check in netback up respective media usage .what is tape capacity and how much space available in the media.
4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You can get the info from command line as to how much data is on the tape.
But you cannot get how much is available.

How much data fits on a tape is based on
What kind of tape
Are you compressing
What kind of data you are putting on it.

Some data does not compress well or at all.  Some data can compress to less then half the original size.

So you could get more data on the tape then its default capacity, or you could get a lot less.

There are a number of commands to get the info here is just one that will show you the kbytes on the tape.

bpmedialist -U -mlist -m <mediaid>

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& what Judy says is quite true - it's very much a moving target!

Have a look at the responses to this earlier post, especially James' solution:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/media-list-question

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can also use available_media script from netbackup/bin/goodies

TROE
Level 4
For those of us coming from the Backup Exec world, there is a useful piece of information that appears to be missing in the NetBackup world.  Backup Exec will tell you how much free space remains on the tape.  For instance, on an LTO4 tape I might see:
  Total Capacity = 391 GB
  Used Capacity = 405 GB
  Available Capacity = 131 GB
  Compression Ratio = 1.56:1

Note that Backup Exec reports gibibytes (i.e. 2^30).
One can check the math: 391 ~= 131 + 405 / 1.56

If one assumes that the compression ratio will hold for additional data, one can assume that an additional 131 GB * 1.56 or 204 GB of data will fit on the tape.  Also, one can see that approximately 2/3rds of the tape is in use.

If one configures pools with "Maximum number of partially full media" and waits for a tape to complete fill over time, one can compute rough compression ratios for the jobs hitting that pool.