Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Master Server Hardware Refresh

SAF
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Gurus,

It seems that these days a lot of people is doing HW refresh.

Personally, I have a doubt because I'm about to do a HW refresh and also an update from NBU 6.5.4 to 7.1. From the beginning I considered to install the new hardware's OS, NBU 6.5.4 and then restore the catalog of the current master in this new one and after that proceed with the version upgrade to 7.1.

Now I'm thinking on the posibility to install NBU 7.1 on the new HW and the recover the catalog from the current master (that is running 6.5.4), but I'm not sure if it's possible since I've never tried this before.

I appreciate any help.

NOTE: Master Old / New: Solaris 10 Sparc. I'm planning to keep the same IP & Hostname.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Today really seems to be 'hardware refresh' day!

You cannot recover an old catalog version to a newer NBU version. Restore will fail due database schema mismatch. You can only restore to exact same NBU version (incl patch level).

You have to either upgrade on old server first, then migrate to same version on new server using catalog backup and restore,  or install same version on new server (including patch version) and do catalog recovery.

Please see this TN for requirements and detailed steps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Today really seems to be 'hardware refresh' day!

You cannot recover an old catalog version to a newer NBU version. Restore will fail due database schema mismatch. You can only restore to exact same NBU version (incl patch level).

You have to either upgrade on old server first, then migrate to same version on new server using catalog backup and restore,  or install same version on new server (including patch version) and do catalog recovery.

Please see this TN for requirements and detailed steps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

SAF
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes Marianne, yesterday was "hardware refresh day"...

Yesterday I wrote you a couple of replys but due to a glitch on connect none of the were posted (grrr).

"I was just thinking on the possibility of installing the new server on 7.1, but I recall from every upgrade the log "Upgrading Database" and that's why I post this concern.

Thanks a lot for your very helpfull reply :D